1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bringing limit under indefinite integral

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given:[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow ∞}[/itex] [itex]\int^{a^n}_{1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{t^{1/n}}{(1+t)t}[/itex] dt=[itex]\int^{∞}_{1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{(1+t)t}[/itex] dt

a - Natural number.

I need to prove that I can bring limit under the integral sign.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've got this so far:
    | [itex]\int^{a^n}_{1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{t^{1/n}}{(1+t)t}[/itex] dt-[itex]\int^{∞}_{1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{(1+t)t}[/itex] dt|[itex]\stackrel{?}{\rightarrow}[/itex] 0 while n→∞

| [itex]\int^{a^n}_{1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{t^{1/n}}{(1+t)t}[/itex] dt-[itex]\int^{∞}_{1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{(1+t)t}[/itex] dt|= [did everything I could and wound up with following]=|[itex]\int^{a^n}_{1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{t^{1/n}-1}{(1+t)t}[/itex] dt|

Now I need to either find a function g(t) so f(t)≤g(t) and [itex]\int^{a^n}_{1}[/itex] g(t) dt →0. This is basically the place where I'm stuck and need your help.

p.s. I meant definite integral in the caption.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2
    How do you take the limit as x goes to infinity of an expression made up of a,n and t?
    Still, using the fundamental theorem of calculus will help here.

4. Jun 19, 2012 #3
    Oh, I new I had made some mistakes writing the post. It was meant to be n -> infinity.

And I can't see how can the fundamental theorem of calculus help.

5. Jun 19, 2012 #4
    In general, let's take the functions f(x,n), a(x,n) and b(x,n), and write this:
    [tex]\int_{a(x,n)}^{b(x,n)}f(x,n)dx[/tex]
    If F is the antiderivative of f, then we obtain this is equal to
    [tex]F(b(x,n),n)-F(a(x,n),n)[/tex]
    Now, taking a(x,n)=1, we have
    [tex]F(b(x,n),n)-F(1,n)[/tex]

It shouldn't be hard from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook