BRST Transformation: Notation & Nilpotency of s Operator

In summary, we discussed the notation for the nilpotency of the s operator in the context of the BRST symmetry transformation. We explored the definition of the operator s and its transformation properties under the BRST transformation. We also addressed potential errors and issues with the notation and finally arrived at the correct form of the equation. Additionally, we clarified that s \psi is not a fermionic matter field, but rather a ghost field times a matter field.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
First some basic notation. I am referencing from Weinberg's "The Quantum Theory of Fields" volume II, pg 29. I'm hoping that the notation is relatively standard.

The question refers to the nilpotency of the s operator defined as follows:

The BRST symmetry transformation is parametrized by an infinitesimal constant [tex] \theta [/tex] that anticommutes with all ghost ( [tex] \omega [/tex] ) and fermionic ( [tex] \psi [/tex] ) matter fields.

A fermionic matter field transforms as [tex] \delta _{ \theta } \psi = i t_ {\alpha} \theta \omega _{ \alpha } \psi [/tex] and we define the operator s by [tex] \delta _{ \theta } F \equiv \theta s F [/tex] where F is a smooth functional of fermionic matter, gauge, ghost, and Nakanishi-Lautrup fields. (In this post I am only going to address the case of F as a single fermionic matter field [tex] \psi [/tex]. ) Also, the [tex]t_{ \alpha } [/tex] form a representation of the Lie algebra of the associated gauge group.

The problem is to show that [tex]ss \psi = 0[/tex] . Weinberg starts with the following equation:
[tex] \delta _{ \theta } s \psi = i t_{ \alpha } \delta _{ \theta } ( \omega _{ \alpha } \psi [/tex] )

If this equation is taken as a given I can go on to complete the proof. However I have two issues with this equation:
1) I am presuming a typo here. The operator [tex] \delta _{ \theta } s [/tex] makes no sense to me. I can only assume that Weinberg meant to write [tex] \delta _{ \theta } (s \psi ) [/tex]. But Weinberg's books have very few typos, so I am not certain about this being an error.

2) By its definition s is clearly a kind of derivative operator. So s acting on a matter field implies that [tex]s \psi [/tex] is also a matter field and thus transforms as one under a BRST transformation. Thus I say:
[tex] \delta _{ \theta } ( s \psi ) = i t_{ \alpha } \theta \omega _{ \alpha } ( s \psi ) [/tex]

[tex]= i t_{ \alpha } \theta \omega _{ \alpha } ( \theta ^{-1} \delta _{ \theta } \psi )[/tex]

[tex]= i t_{ \alpha } \omega _{ \alpha } \delta _{ \theta } \psi [/tex]

Now
[tex]\omega _{ \alpha } \delta _{ \theta } \psi = \delta _{ \theta} ( \omega _{ \alpha } \psi ) - ( \delta _{ \theta } \omega _{ \alpha } ) \psi [/tex]

From the BRST transformation of the ghost field [tex] \omega _{ \alpha } [/tex] we obtain:
[tex]\omega _{ \alpha } \delta _{ \theta } \psi = \delta _{ \theta } ( \omega _{ \alpha } \psi ) - \left ( - \frac{1}{2} \theta C_{ \alpha \beta \gamma } \omega _{ \beta } \omega _{ \gamma } \right ) \psi[/tex]
where the [tex]C_{\alpha \beta \gamma }[/tex] are the structure constants for the Lie algebra.

Putting it all together gives, finally:
[tex]\delta _{ \theta } ( s \psi ) = i t_{ \alpha } \delta _{ \theta } ( \omega _{ \alpha } \psi ) + \frac{i}{2} t_{ \alpha } \theta C_{ \alpha \beta \gamma } \omega _{ \beta } \omega _{ \gamma } \psi [/tex]

The first term on the right is what Weinberg states. The second one is a problem. Am I right in saying that the last term is zero due to a combination of the anti-commutivity of the ghost fields and the antisymmetry of the [tex]C_{ \alpha \beta \gamma }[/tex] in the [tex]\beta[/tex] and [tex]\gamma[/tex]?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Dan Boyce

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Operators are always assumed to be associative, so [itex]\delta_\theta s\psi = \delta_\theta (s\psi)[/itex].

2) [itex]\delta_\theta[/itex] is a differential operator that obeys the product rule: [itex]\delta_\theta(AB)=(\delta_\theta A)B+A(\delta_\theta B)[/itex]. You are missing one of these terms, and when you include it, it will cancel the unwanted term in your result (which does not vanish by symmetry).

Avodyne said:
1) Operators are always assumed to be associative, so [itex]\delta_\theta s\psi = \delta_\theta (s\psi)[/itex].
Thank you.

Avodyne said:
2) [itex]\delta_\theta[/itex] is a differential operator that obeys the product rule: [itex]\delta_\theta(AB)=(\delta_\theta A)B+A(\delta_\theta B)[/itex]. You are missing one of these terms, and when you include it, it will cancel the unwanted term in your result (which does not vanish by symmetry).

[tex]\omega _{ \alpha } \delta _{ \theta } \psi = \delta _{ \theta} ( \omega _{ \alpha } \psi ) - ( \delta _{ \theta } \omega _{ \alpha } ) \psi [/tex]

This is the relation I used above. It has all the correct terms. Thank you for letting me know that the asymmetry argument won't work. Back to the drawing board I guess.

-Dan Boyce

topsquark said:
Thus I say:

[tex] \delta _{ \theta } ( s \psi ) = ... = i t_{ \alpha } \omega _{ \alpha } \delta _{ \theta } \psi [/tex]

This is wrong. In accord with the product rule, it should be

[tex] \delta _{ \theta } ( s \psi ) = i t_{ \alpha }[(\delta_\theta \omega _{ \alpha })\psi+ \omega _{ \alpha }( \delta _{ \theta } \psi)] [/tex]

Avodyne said:
This is wrong. In accord with the product rule, it should be

[tex] \delta _{ \theta } ( s \psi ) = i t_{ \alpha }[(\delta_\theta \omega _{ \alpha })\psi+ \omega _{ \alpha }( \delta _{ \theta } \psi)] [/tex]
Okay, I see where you are. Sorry. This brings up two questions.

First, applying the derivative rule directly
[tex]\delta _{ \theta } (s \psi) = ( \delta _{ \theta } s ) \psi + s ( \delta _{ \theta } \psi )[/tex]
what I am I to do with the operator [tex]\delta _{ \theta } s[/tex] ? I don't know how to transform s?

Second, your comment (and the fact that my derivation gives the wrong answer) implies that [tex]s \psi [/tex] is not a fermionic matter field and thus will not transform as one?

Sorry if I seem really muddled about this. There's something that simply isn't clicking here for me.

-Dan Boyce

topsquark said:
First, applying the derivative rule directly
It doesn't work like this. To compute [itex]\delta _{ \theta } (s \psi)[/itex], you first apply [itex]s[/itex], and then [itex]\delta _{ \theta }[/itex].

topsquark said:
Second, your comment (and the fact that my derivation gives the wrong answer) implies that [tex]s \psi [/tex] is not a fermionic matter field and thus will not transform as one?
Correct. It is (and transforms like) a ghost field times a matter field.

Avodyne said:
It doesn't work like this. To compute [itex]\delta _{ \theta } (s \psi)[/itex], you first apply [itex]s[/itex], and then [itex]\delta _{ \theta }[/itex].

Correct. It is (and transforms like) a ghost field times a matter field.
Thanks. I'll work with that for a bit.

-Dan Boyce

Oh Heavens. That was almost ridiculously simple. I've got it now. Thanks for your time and patience.

(There's a way to mark this thread as "solved." How do you do that?)

Last edited:

What is BRST transformation and why is it important in physics?

BRST transformation is a mathematical concept used in quantum field theory to maintain the gauge invariance of a system. It is important because it allows us to consistently deal with gauge theories, such as electromagnetism and the Standard Model, which are crucial in understanding the fundamental forces of nature.

What is the notation used for BRST transformation?

The notation used for BRST transformation is the s operator, which is represented by the symbol "s". This operator acts on the fields and generates a new set of fields which are related to the original fields by the BRST transformation.

What is the nilpotency property of the s operator in BRST transformation?

The nilpotency property of the s operator means that applying the operator twice on the fields results in zero. In other words, s squared is equal to zero. This is a crucial property of the s operator as it ensures that the BRST transformation is consistent and does not introduce any new degrees of freedom.

What is the physical interpretation of BRST transformation?

The physical interpretation of BRST transformation is that it allows us to introduce new fields and symmetries into a gauge theory in a consistent way. These new fields, known as ghost fields, are necessary for maintaining the gauge invariance of the theory and can be interpreted as representing unphysical particles.

How is BRST transformation related to supersymmetry?

BRST transformation is closely related to supersymmetry, which is a theoretical framework that extends the standard model of particle physics. Both concepts involve the introduction of new fields and symmetries to maintain the consistency and invariance of a theory. In fact, supersymmetry can be seen as a generalization of BRST transformation to include fermionic fields.