1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brute force quantization

1. Aug 25, 2006 #1
    "Brute force" quantization..

Let's suppose we have the "Equation of motions" for a particle:

[tex] F(y'',y',y,x)=0 [/tex] my question is if exsit a "direct" method to apply quantization rules..for example simply stating that:

[tex] F(y'',y',y,x)| \psi (x) >=0 [/tex] or something similar.

- I'm not talking about the usual method (you use the Hamiltonian operator to get the Wave function) but a method to "Quantize" everything without using Hamiltonians or Lagrangians only with the equation of motion and similar...thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2
    The Hellman-feynman theorem deals with the quantum mechanics of forces, but no, there is no procedure which involves quantised forces.

4. Sep 5, 2006 #3
    Well, I don't know about that theorem, but I was once thinking about quantum mechanics as a probability fluidum (the Madelung interpretation), something I never published since I cannot believe it has not been done yet. In this case, let [tex] R^2 [/tex] be the ``mass´´ density and [tex] \partial_{\mu} S [/tex] be the integrable fluid velocity field. Then, the traditional navier stokes equation is:
    [tex] R^2 \partial_t \partial_{\alpha}S + R^2 \partial_{\beta} S \partial_{\beta} \left( \partial_{\alpha} S \right) = \frac{R^2}{m} F_{\alpha} - \partial_{\alpha} p + \partial^{\beta} T_{\beta \alpha} [/tex] and the usual continuity equation
    [tex] \partial_t R^2 + \partial^{\alpha} \left( R^2 \partial_{\alpha} S \right) = 0 [/tex]
    Now, let the pressure [tex] p = - \frac{1}{2m^2} \left( R \partial_{\beta} \partial^{\beta }R - \frac{1}{3} \partial_{\beta} R \partial^{\beta} R \right) [/tex] and the stress tensor
    [tex] T_{\alpha \beta} = - \frac{1}{m^2} \left( \partial_{\alpha}R \partial_{\beta} R - \frac{1}{3} \delta_{\alpha \beta} \partial_{\gamma} R \partial^{\gamma} R \right) [/tex] then it is easy to prove that
    with [tex] F_{\alpha} = - \partial_{\alpha} V [/tex], the Navier Stokes equation gives rise to the Hamilton Jacobi equation of Bohmian mechanics. Hence, this provides a general scheme for quantization of particles in general force fields. If you definetly know this has not been done yet, give me a sign and I will post the ``paper'' on the arxiv.

It seems to me you cannot quantize general force fields (in the case of instantaneous action at a distance, there are no travelling waves, hence no particles), only those which can be derived from a (eventually distributional) field theory seem to be meaningful.

Careful

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?