Is Direct Brute Force Quantization Possible for Equations of Motion?

In summary: The Madelung interpretation is a more general approach to quantum mechanics that is not limited to forces.
lokofer
"Brute force" quantization..

Let's suppose we have the "Equation of motions" for a particle:

[tex] F(y'',y',y,x)=0 [/tex] my question is if exsit a "direct" method to apply quantization rules..for example simply stating that:

[tex] F(y'',y',y,x)| \psi (x) >=0 [/tex] or something similar.

- I'm not talking about the usual method (you use the Hamiltonian operator to get the Wave function) but a method to "Quantize" everything without using Hamiltonians or Lagrangians only with the equation of motion and similar...thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hellman-feynman theorem deals with the quantum mechanics of forces, but no, there is no procedure which involves quantised forces.

Epicurus said:
The Hellman-feynman theorem deals with the quantum mechanics of forces, but no, there is no procedure which involves quantised forces.

Well, I don't know about that theorem, but I was once thinking about quantum mechanics as a probability fluidum (the Madelung interpretation), something I never published since I cannot believe it has not been done yet. In this case, let [tex] R^2 [/tex] be the ``mass´´ density and [tex] \partial_{\mu} S [/tex] be the integrable fluid velocity field. Then, the traditional navier stokes equation is:
[tex] R^2 \partial_t \partial_{\alpha}S + R^2 \partial_{\beta} S \partial_{\beta} \left( \partial_{\alpha} S \right) = \frac{R^2}{m} F_{\alpha} - \partial_{\alpha} p + \partial^{\beta} T_{\beta \alpha} [/tex] and the usual continuity equation
[tex] \partial_t R^2 + \partial^{\alpha} \left( R^2 \partial_{\alpha} S \right) = 0 [/tex]
Now, let the pressure [tex] p = - \frac{1}{2m^2} \left( R \partial_{\beta} \partial^{\beta }R - \frac{1}{3} \partial_{\beta} R \partial^{\beta} R \right) [/tex] and the stress tensor
[tex] T_{\alpha \beta} = - \frac{1}{m^2} \left( \partial_{\alpha}R \partial_{\beta} R - \frac{1}{3} \delta_{\alpha \beta} \partial_{\gamma} R \partial^{\gamma} R \right) [/tex] then it is easy to prove that
with [tex] F_{\alpha} = - \partial_{\alpha} V [/tex], the Navier Stokes equation gives rise to the Hamilton Jacobi equation of Bohmian mechanics. Hence, this provides a general scheme for quantization of particles in general force fields. If you definately know this has not been done yet, give me a sign and I will post the ``paper'' on the arxiv.

It seems to me you cannot quantize general force fields (in the case of instantaneous action at a distance, there are no traveling waves, hence no particles), only those which can be derived from a (eventually distributional) field theory seem to be meaningful.

Careful

Last edited:

What is brute force quantization?

Brute force quantization is a technique used in data compression to reduce the size of digital data by grouping similar values together and rounding them to a specified precision. This results in a loss of detail and accuracy, but can greatly reduce the amount of storage space needed for the data.

How does brute force quantization work?

In brute force quantization, the data is divided into smaller segments and then each segment is analyzed to find the best possible quantization level. This is done by comparing the original data to the quantized version and adjusting the precision until the difference is minimal. The quantized data is then stored using the chosen precision.

What are the advantages of brute force quantization?

The main advantage of brute force quantization is the reduction in storage space required for data. This makes it ideal for applications where large amounts of data need to be stored or transmitted, such as in image or audio compression. It is also a relatively simple and fast technique to implement.

What are the limitations of brute force quantization?

One of the main limitations of brute force quantization is the loss of detail and accuracy in the data. This can result in a decrease in overall quality, which may be noticeable in certain applications. It is also a computationally intensive process and may not be suitable for real-time applications.

Are there any alternatives to brute force quantization?

Yes, there are other techniques for data compression such as arithmetic coding, Huffman coding, and delta encoding. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of data or applications, and may provide better compression ratios with less loss of quality. However, brute force quantization remains a popular and effective method in many scenarios.