BS in physics with a minor in finance

In summary, your daughter is already enrolled in university, is currently still in her final year of high school, and has been accepted for admission to university next school year. She is allowed to add a "minor" objective later, but it is very difficult to do so as her final year of high school is too early to know if she'll want Finance or Materials Science.
lenalmeda
Hi! My daughter is currently in Grade 12. We are having a hard time to choose between BS in Physics minor in Finance and Bs in Physics with specialization in material science.

Can you give us advice which is a better one?

thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Some preliminary questions first.

(1) Are we discussing education in the US?

(2) A "minor" typically requires specific courses and a minimum number of credits in the minor field. What do you mean by "specialization"?

(3) Your daughter's plans obviously can change during college. But does she have any strong inclinations so far? E.g.,

* Is she set on stopping with a BS, or willing to consider grad school (MS or PhD)?

* Any particular activities so far that indicate her interests, such as science fair projects or Junior Achievement?

* Why the particular two choices between BS physics with finance and BS physics with materials science (as opposed to BS physics with something else, or BS something else with physics)?

Hi! I am talking about education in Philippines particularly in De La Salle University where my daughter is currently studying

lenalmeda said:
Hi! I am talking about education in Philippines particularly in De La Salle University where my daughter is currently studying
OK. That would have been very useful initial information. So, she is already enrolled in the university, correct? What does "Grade 12" mean in the Philippines university system?

Yes she is enrolled now. Grade 12 means Senior HIgh School. By next school year she will be in College already

lenalmeda said:
Yes she is enrolled now. Grade 12 means Senior HIgh School. By next school year she will be in College already
Just to clarify: She is currently still in her final year of high school, has been accepted for admission to university, and will start attending university next school year. Is that correct?

CrysPhys said:
Just to clarify: She is currently still in her final year of high school, has been accepted for admission to university, and will start attending university next school year. Is that correct?
YES THAT IS CORRECT

So, of the preliminary questions in my first post, the first two have been answered [as for (2), I note that the course options you are asking about are specific to De La Salle University]. That still leaves:

(3) Your daughter's plans obviously can change during college. But does she have any strong inclinations so far? E.g.,

* Is she set on stopping with a BS, or willing to consider grad school (MS or PhD)?

* Any particular activities so far that indicate her interests, such as science fair projects or Junior Achievement [ETA: See https://www.juniorachievement.org/web/ja-usa/home. For this, substitute any business-oriented programs in the Philippines that your daughter might have participated in so far.]?

* Why the particular two choices between BS physics with finance and BS physics with materials science (as opposed to BS physics with something else, or BS something else with physics)?

Is she allowed to add a "minor" objective later while starting with Bachelor of Science Degree in Physics? As already stated, final year of high school is too early to know if she'll want Finance or Materials Science.

symbolipoint said:
Is she allowed to add a "minor" objective later while starting with Bachelor of Science Degree in Physics? As already stated, final year of high school is too early to know if she'll want Finance or Materials Science.

@symbolipoint and @CrysPhys , here is the relevant information for the physics degree programs at De La Salle University in the Philippines that the OP did not disclose in the initial thread post:

https://www.dlsu.edu.ph/colleges/cos/departments/physics/course-checklist/
As you can see in the link above, De La Salle University does not have a single physics degree, but a number of different physics degree programs, all of which students must apply prior to being admitted. Two of those degree programs are what the OP described:

1. Bachelor of Science in Physics with Specialization in Materials Science
2. Bachelor of Science in Physics with minor in Finance.

Other options include physics with premed studies, physics specializing in medical instrumentation, and physics with minor in economics.

Last edited:
StatGuy2000 & the O.P.

I will simply trust what you say without reading the quoted article. So the answer to what I asked:
would be, "no".
Or, very difficult at best.

I ask my question obviously because students may change as they find their interests and as their own talents become apparent - which is not always upon enrolling into the college/university program.

StatGuy2000 said:
As you can see in the link above, De La Salle University does not have a single physics degree, but a number of different physics degree programs, all of which students must apply prior to being admitted.
<<Emphasis added.>> Assuming this is correct, this is another issue for the OP to clarify, since he indicated that his daughter has already been admitted for the next school year.

What is a BS in physics with a minor in finance?

A BS in physics with a minor in finance is an undergraduate degree program that combines the study of physics with courses in finance. It provides students with a strong foundation in both fields and prepares them for careers in various industries, such as finance, technology, and research.

What courses are typically included in a BS in physics with a minor in finance?

Some common courses in this program include classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, financial accounting, corporate finance, and financial markets and institutions. Students may also have the opportunity to take electives in areas such as astrophysics, computational physics, and financial modeling.

What career opportunities are available for graduates with a BS in physics and a minor in finance?

Graduates with this degree can pursue a variety of career paths, including financial analyst, data scientist, risk analyst, investment banker, and research scientist. They may also find opportunities in government agencies, research institutes, and technology companies.

What skills can I expect to gain from this program?

Students in this program develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of physics principles and financial concepts. They also gain proficiency in data analysis, computer programming, and financial modeling, which are highly valued in many industries.

Is a BS in physics with a minor in finance a good choice for graduate school?

Yes, this program can be a good preparation for graduate studies in fields such as physics, finance, or data science. It provides a solid foundation in both disciplines and allows students to develop a unique set of skills that can be applied in various research areas and industries.