Centripetal Forces and the Bucket in a Circle

In summary, the instructor in the video showed a bucket filled with water that required a centripetal force of 3N towards the center to keep the water in. However, when the bucket reached the top, the force of gravity (4N) would cause the water to fall out. The question was then raised about the bucket and water accelerating downwards at 9.8m/s/s without any tension force, and if the water would stay in the bucket. It was discussed that when the bucket hits the ground, the water will not stay in. However, while the bucket is in the air, the water may stay in if the bucket is at least half full. This is because the surface water is closer to the axis of rotation
AAAA

Homework Statement

I was watching a video on centripetal forces, and at one point in the video, the instructor poses a question where he shows a bucket filled with water which requires an Fnet of 3N towards the center to keep the water in the bucket.
At one point in the video (please seek to 6:09)

he says that the water will fall out of the bucket at the top because there is an Fg of 4N, but if there is no force of tension and the bucket and water are both accelerating at 9.8m/s/s (assuming down is +ve) then will the bucket not stay in the water?

Homework Equations

N/A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, presumably when the bucket hits the ground the water will not stay in the bucket.

paisiello2 said:
Well, presumably when the bucket hits the ground the water will not stay in the bucket.
I guess so, but while the bucket is in the air, it should be accelerating downwards w/ the water @ 9.8m/s/s, no? Meaning the water stays in the bucket?

You make an interesting point, but there are some practical considerations.
If the bucket is at least half full, the surface water will be closer to the axis of rotation than will the bucket's CoM. This means it requires less centripetal acceleration, so will enter free fall before the bucket does.

haruspex said:
You make an interesting point, but there are some practical considerations.
If the bucket is at least half full, the surface water will be closer to the axis of rotation than will the bucket's CoM. This means it requires less centripetal acceleration, so will enter free fall before the bucket does.
Interesting, I'm assuming that this is beyond the scope of my course-- cool regardless.

CoM = Center of Mass, correct?

AAAA said:
Interesting, I'm assuming that this is beyond the scope of my course-- cool regardless.

CoM = Center of Mass, correct?
Yes.

1. What is the "Bucket in a circle question"?

The "Bucket in a circle question" is a common physics problem that involves a bucket filled with water tied to a string and swung in a vertical circle. The goal is to determine the minimum speed the bucket needs to be swung at in order for the water to stay in the bucket and not spill out.

2. How does the direction of the bucket's motion affect the water inside?

The direction of the bucket's motion does not affect the water inside. As long as the speed is high enough, the water will remain in the bucket regardless of the direction of the circular motion.

3. What are the key factors that determine the minimum speed needed for the water to stay in the bucket?

The key factors are the radius of the circle, the mass of the water in the bucket, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors are used in the centripetal force equation to calculate the minimum speed needed.

4. Is there a limit to how fast the bucket can be swung?

Yes, there is a limit known as the "maximum speed" where the water will start to spill out of the bucket. This speed is determined by the centripetal force needed to keep the water in the bucket and cannot exceed the maximum tension that the string can withstand.

5. How is this problem relevant to real life?

This problem has real-life applications in fields such as engineering and amusement park ride design. It also helps us understand the concept of centripetal force and how it affects objects in circular motion.