Bug with Mathematica: Simplify Function Output

In summary, the Mathematica program can sometimes get confused when dealing with complicated equations and expressions, especially when there are many grouped terms. In order to get an accurate solution, it may be necessary to help the program along by breaking down the terms or providing additional information. This can be done using the Simplify function and by replacing variables with known values.
vaibhavtewari
When I try
Simplify[Sqrt[1/(c^2 L^2 - k^2 q^2 Q^2)] Sqrt[c^2 L^2 - k^2 q^2 Q^2],
c^2 L^2 - k^2 q^2 Q^2 > 0]
I get
Sqrt[1/(c^2 L^2 - k^2 q^2 Q^2)] Sqrt[c^2 L^2 - k^2 q^2 Q^2]
as output

but when I try
Simplify[Sqrt[1/(c^2 L^2 - k^2 Q^2)] Sqrt[c^2 L^2 - k^2 Q^2],
c^2 L^2 - k^2 Q^2 > 0]
I get
as output. Can someone resolve is that a bug or I am doing something wrong.

Thank You,

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a bug, in that the answer is not actually wrong... Mma gets confused when there's too many terms, especially in integrals with too many constants that are grouped together. If you run into problems like this where you know there is a group of terms that often occurs, sometimes you need to help it along.

Simplify[Sqrt[1/(c^2 L^2 - k^2 q^2 Q^2)] Sqrt[c^2 L^2 - k^2 q^2 Q^2],
c^2 L^2 > k^2 q^2 Q^2]
(* doesn't work, so help it with *)
Simplify[% /. c^2 L^2 -> a + k^2 q^2 Q^2, a > 0]

1. What does the Simplify function do in Mathematica?

The Simplify function in Mathematica is used to simplify mathematical expressions by applying various transformations and rules. It aims to reduce complex expressions to their simplest form, making them easier to read and understand.

2. How do I use the Simplify function in Mathematica?

To use the Simplify function in Mathematica, you can either type "Simplify[expression]" or use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + /". You can also specify additional options and assumptions to customize the simplification process.

3. Why is my output not simplified after using the Simplify function?

There could be several reasons why your output is not simplified after using the Simplify function. One possible reason is that the expression is already in its simplest form, so no further simplification can be done. Another reason could be that the Simplify function is not able to apply any applicable rules or transformations to the expression.

4. Can I control the level of simplification with the Simplify function?

Yes, you can control the level of simplification by specifying the "ComplexityFunction" option in the Simplify function. This allows you to set a threshold for the complexity of the output, and any simplification beyond that threshold will not be performed.

5. Are there any limitations to the Simplify function in Mathematica?

While the Simplify function is a powerful tool for simplifying mathematical expressions, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to simplify certain types of expressions, such as those involving symbolic constants or functions. Additionally, the simplification process may take a long time for very complex expressions.