Can a 555-timer DC-AC inverter run a 72W TV from a 12V car battery?

  • Thread starter Thread starter burnhard gandah
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ac Dc Inverter
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 14K views
burnhard gandah
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
How are you EEs. I would like to use my 12V car battery as backup power for a 72W television so that I can watch every minute of 2006 soccer world cup action (in case of Electricity company power cuts).

After some searches I found this inverter http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/555dcac.html

I intend to build this or another simpler and cheaper inverter
But I have the following questions
1)What is the power rating of this inverter, is it suitable for my TV.
2)What is its efficiency is it possible to run a 12V battery through this inverter for more than 120 minutes (in case the match goes into extra time)

If there is a simpler, cheaper alternative circuit can you give suggestions please.

NB: Do not suggest that I buy one from shops
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is not worth your time and money to make your own inverter. 75W inverters that plug into your cigarette lighter socket cost only a few dollars.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters
I see this is old, but if you are interested in DIY inverters, I took an old Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) and hooked it to a car battery. First I took some needle-nose pliers, and pulled the piezzo buzzer cap off so it wouldn't have the annoying beep, because it thinks the power is out.
To figure out how long a setup will last, figure how many amps you will draw at 12 volts, then find the amp-hour rating of your battery