1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building Functions from Asymptotes

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the given information about the asymptotes of a function to write an equation for a rational function. You may leave your function in "factored" form.

2. Relevant equations

1. Vertical Asymptote at x=3 and x=-2

2. Vertical Asymptote at x=5, Horizontal Asymptote at y=3

3. Hole at (2,3), Horizontal Asymptote at y=0

4. Horizontal Asymptote at y=0, Vertical Asymptote at x=6, Goes through the point (3,-2)

5. Vertical Asymptote at x=2, Oblique Asymptote with Equation y=3x-5

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the basics for finding horizontal, vertical, and oblique asymptotes when you have the equation. I'm just having a hard time going backwards.

1. f(x)=1/(x-3)(x+2)

2. f(x)=3x/(x-5)

3. I know the denominator has to be a higher degree than the numerator, bu the "hole" in the graph through me for a loop. No idea where to start.

4. I'm having a similar problem, I don't know how to find a point that goes through the asymptote.

5. f(x)=3x2-11x+10/(x-2)

I got that by setting the denominator equal to zero to find '(x-2)'. I then multiplied the oblique asymptote 'y=3x-5' by '(x-2)' to get the numerator. I think i did something wrong though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Lizardjuice7
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

None these problems necessarily determines a unique function, you just have to find one that works. 1 and 2 look good. A 'hole in the graph' is referring to a function like (x-2)/(x-2). It's equal to 1 everywhere except at x=2, where it's undefined. That's the 'hole in the graph'. For 4 the point (-3,2) really supposed to be on the asymptote or on the graph? It's not on either asymptote. For 5 the equation should be (3x-5) times something that goes to 1 as x->infinity, right? And that something should have a vertical asymptote at x=2.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?