Vertical, Horizontal and Oblique Asymptotes Explaining

In summary: It's too bad that the author used a capital "E" in the expression for f(x).In summary, the functions f(x) = e-x x5 + 2/ x5 − x4 + x3 − x2 + x + 1 and k(x) = sin(1/x) arctan(x) have different properties in terms of vertical, horizontal, and oblique asymptotes. While f(x) has a vertical asymptote at x = 0 due to the denominator being zero, its horizontal and oblique asymptotes are not as straightforward to determine. On the other hand, k(x) has no vertical asymptotes but does have horizontal and oblique asymptotes, with the latter being determined through limit
tmlrlz

Homework Statement

Explain why each of the following functions have or do not have vertical, horizontal,
and/or oblique asymptotes:
(a) f(x) = e-x x5 + 2/ x5 − x4 + x3 − x2 + x + 1
(b) k(x) = sin(1/x) arctan(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, to explain the vertical asymptote, i knew that it will occur where the denominator is equal to zero, however I did not know exactly where that was so i used the Intermediate Value Theorem to prove that the function g(x) = x5 − x4 + x3 − x2 + x + 1
has at least one root which will prove that the original function f(x) has at least one VA. The problem i run into is with the Horizontal and Oblique Asymptote. Before I had always been thought that if the highest power of x in the denominater is of the same degree as the numerator then there is a horizontal asymptote at the ratio of the leading coefficients of the highest power of x. If the degree in the numerator is less than that of the denominator then there is a horizontal asymptote at y = 0. As for oblique asymptotes, i was taught that if the degree of the numerator is EXACTLY one greater than the degree of the denominator then there is an oblique asymptote which you can find using synthtic or long division. However in this case it is different because if you look at the powers of x, the highest power of x in numerator and denominator is x5 so you just look at the coefficients because you multiply both top and bottom by 1/x5 but then you end up with e-x. Can an exponential function be an oblique asymptote? How do i explain that there is no horizontal asymptote, because the degree of the numerator and denominator is the same which would contradict what i was taught. How do i prove this is an oblique asymptote because for that the degree has to be greater in the numerator which it isn't. Any help is greatly appreciated.
(As for the second one I have no clue how to do that one and thought that if i got help on the first one, then i would build on that and ask for help on the second one afterwards)

Physics news on Phys.org
tmlrlz said:

Homework Statement

Explain why each of the following functions have or do not have vertical, horizontal,
and/or oblique asymptotes:
(a) f(x) = e-x x5 + 2/ x5 − x4 + x3 − x2 + x + 1
(b) k(x) = sin(1/x) arctan(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, to explain the vertical asymptote, i knew that it will occur where the denominator is equal to zero, however I did not know exactly where that was so i used the Intermediate Value Theorem to prove that the function g(x) = x5 − x4 + x3 − x2 + x + 1
has at least one root which will prove that the original function f(x) has at least one VA. The problem i run into is with the Horizontal and Oblique Asymptote. Before I had always been thought that if the highest power of x in the denominator is of the same degree as the numerator then there is a horizontal asymptote at the ratio of the leading coefficients of the highest power of x. If the degree in the numerator is less than that of the denominator then there is a horizontal asymptote at y = 0. As for oblique asymptotes, i was taught that if the degree of the numerator is EXACTLY one greater than the degree of the denominator then there is an oblique asymptote which you can find using synthetic or long division. However in this case it is different because if you look at the powers of x, the highest power of x in numerator and denominator is x5 so you just look at the coefficients because you multiply both top and bottom by 1/x5 but then you end up with e-x. Can an exponential function be an oblique asymptote? How do i explain that there is no horizontal asymptote, because the degree of the numerator and denominator is the same which would contradict what i was taught. How do i prove this is an oblique asymptote because for that the degree has to be greater in the numerator which it isn't. Any help is greatly appreciated.
(As for the second one I have no clue how to do that one and thought that if i got help on the first one, then i would build on that and ask for help on the second one afterwards)
If the numerator of f(x) is e-x x5 + 2 and the denominator is x5 − x4 + x3 − x2 + x + 1, you really should enclose each in parentheses.
f(x)=(e-x x5 + 2)/(x5 − x4 + x3 − x2 + x + 1)​

What you have written is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=e^{-x} x^5 + \frac{2}{x^5}-x^4 + x^3 − x^2 + x + 1[/itex]

Those rules you list for asymptotes are for rational functions -- functions in which the numerators & denominators are strictly polynomials. Some of those ideas are also aplicable here but degree is meaningless except for the denominator of f(x).

To find find horizontal asymptotes, you need to take limits as x→-∞ and as x→+∞.

Vertical asymptotes may still occur when the denominator is zero.

These are pretty interesting functions.

1. What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line on a graph that a function approaches but never touches. It occurs when there is a value of x that makes the denominator of a rational function equal to zero.

2. How do you determine if a function has a vertical asymptote?

To determine if a function has a vertical asymptote, set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for x. If the solution is a real number, then the function has a vertical asymptote at that x value.

3. What is a horizontal asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a horizontal line on a graph that a function approaches as x approaches positive or negative infinity. It represents the long-term behavior of the function.

4. How do you find the equation of a horizontal asymptote?

The equation of a horizontal asymptote can be found by looking at the degrees of the numerator and denominator of a rational function. If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, the horizontal asymptote is y = 0. If the degrees are equal, the horizontal asymptote is the ratio of the leading coefficients. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator, there is no horizontal asymptote.

5. What is an oblique asymptote?

An oblique asymptote is a slanted line on a graph that a function approaches as x approaches positive or negative infinity. It occurs when the degree of the numerator is exactly one more than the degree of the denominator in a rational function.