Combining Business Management and Engineering with ERB Degree

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of taking a business management degree instead of a science or technology degree in order to have better opportunities in a scientific or technological company. However, it is mentioned that even with a business management degree, one may not have much control over the design process and could potentially alienate or insult professional engineers.
Line
I was looking an there was this degree that combines business mangment and enginering. Called the ERB I would possibly take the Electrical Engineeering ERB.

I don't know if this let's you be a manager in an elctronics buissness or gived you experience in electronics while havign som e expierienc ein buisness.

But anyway I was thinking of taking a buissness managment degree. That instead of a science or technology degree. That way I could tak e the route into a scientific or technological company as a manger. Do yout hink that would work. Seems a lot easier and probrably get payed more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

Line said:
I was looking an there was this degree that combines business mangment and enginering. Called the ERB I would possibly take the Electrical Engineeering ERB.
I don't know if this let's you be a manager in an elctronics buissness or gived you experience in electronics while havign som e expierienc ein buisness.
But anyway I was thinking of taking a buissness managment degree. That instead of a science or technology degree. That way I could tak e the route into a scientific or technological company as a manger. Do yout hink that would work. Seems a lot easier and probrably get payed more.
Well, if you get a business management degree, even if you work for a technological company, don't kid yourself into thinking that you'll be heavily involved in the design process. At best, you'll be delegating responsibility to people with actual engineering background.

So even if I ran the company I couldn't have much control over the designing?

Line said:
So even if I ran the company I couldn't have much control over the designing?

If you ran the company, you could do whatever you want. Having said that, I'm not completely sure of what level of design you're referring to. If you're referring to aesthetics / user interfaces, you could probably get away with it. If you're talking about *broad* ideas, you could probably do it. However, if you actually want to go deep into the technical aspect of it, you won't be able to. In fact, if you try to, you'll most likely end up alienating / insulting the professional engineers. (I know that if I had a boss without an engineering background who ever tried to tell me how something should be done, I'd be extremely insulted and might even quit.)

1. What is an ERB degree and how does it combine business management and engineering?

An ERB (Engineering and Business) degree is a specialized undergraduate program that combines the principles of business management and engineering. This degree provides students with a unique skill set that allows them to understand and analyze complex technical problems from a business perspective, as well as effectively communicate and manage projects within a business environment.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with an ERB degree?

Graduates with an ERB degree have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, manufacturing, consulting, and finance. They can pursue roles such as project managers, business analysts, supply chain managers, and operations managers, among others.

3. How does an ERB degree prepare students for the workforce?

An ERB degree provides students with a well-rounded education that combines technical skills with business acumen. Through coursework and hands-on projects, students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are highly sought after by employers. Additionally, many ERB programs offer internships and co-op opportunities, providing students with real-world experience in both engineering and business settings.

4. Can students pursue advanced degrees with an ERB degree?

Yes, students with an ERB degree can pursue advanced degrees such as a Master's in Business Administration (MBA) or a Master's in Engineering. This combination of degrees can lead to even more career opportunities, such as leadership positions in engineering firms or entrepreneurship.

5. What sets an ERB degree apart from other business or engineering degrees?

An ERB degree offers a unique interdisciplinary approach to education that prepares students for the increasingly complex and globalized business world. This degree combines technical knowledge and business skills, making graduates well-equipped to take on a wide variety of roles and industries. Additionally, the demand for professionals with both engineering and business backgrounds is growing, making an ERB degree a valuable and in-demand qualification.