Bullet deceleration due to drag

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of modeling bullet trajectory for a realistic FPS sniper simulator. The speaker shares their findings on drag coefficients and exit velocity for a .22 bullet and their desire to use this information to create a continuous solution. They mention difficulties with applying differential equations and ask for suggestions. One response recommends researching "projectile motion with air resistance" and provides a related Wikipedia article, while another suggests using discrete time steps due to the complexity of the general solution. The conversation ends with a thank you and a link to a helpful resource for those interested in simulating bullet trajectory.
Raddy13
My friend and I are working on a realistic FPS sniper simulator and we wanted to be able to realistically model things like bullet drop, flight time, and impact energy. I've managed to find the drag coefficients for different rounds and I know the exit velocity, so now I want to use that to model the bullet's trajectory. Here is a sample using a .22 bullet:

[tex]C_d = 0.169\\
v_i = 330~m/s\\
m = 0.00259~kg\\
A = 2.45e\!- 5~m^2\\
\rho_{air} = 1.204~kg/m^3\\[/tex]

[tex]F = m\cdot a\\
F_d = \frac{1}{2} \rho v^2 C_d A\\
v_f = v_i + a\cdot t
[/tex]

I can set this up to be solved in discrete time-steps, but I can't figure out how to get a continuous solution since drag is dependent on the velocity and the velocity depends on the drag. I found a few solutions for determining terminal velocity for an object in free-fall, but I can't figure out how to apply that here; it's been a long time since Diff. Eq. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try googling "projectile motion with air resistance".

Thanks for the replies, guys. Apparently the general solution is obnoxiously complex so most simulations just do it with discrete time steps. For anyone looking for information on how to do that, this link gives a pretty good explanation.

Thanks again!

I would suggest using numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods to solve for the bullet's trajectory. These methods use discrete time-steps to approximate the continuous solution and can handle situations where the equations are dependent on each other, such as in the case of drag and velocity. Additionally, these methods can be easily implemented in computer simulations, making them ideal for your FPS sniper simulator.

Another approach could be to use analytical solutions, such as the drag equation or the ballistic trajectory equation, to model the bullet's trajectory. These equations take into account factors such as drag, initial velocity, and mass, and can provide a continuous solution for the bullet's motion. However, they may not be as accurate as numerical methods, especially for complex scenarios.

Furthermore, it may be helpful to consult with a mathematician or physicist with expertise in differential equations to assist with implementing a continuous solution for the bullet's trajectory. They may be able to provide valuable insights and guidance on how to approach the problem.

Overall, accurately modeling bullet drop, flight time, and impact energy in your simulator will require a combination of numerical and analytical methods, as well as collaboration with experts in the field. I wish you the best of luck in your simulation project.

1. What is bullet deceleration due to drag?

Bullet deceleration due to drag is the gradual decrease in the speed of a bullet as it travels through the air. This is caused by the resistance of the air, also known as drag, acting on the bullet.

2. How does drag affect bullet trajectory?

Drag affects bullet trajectory by causing it to slow down and change direction. As the bullet travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to drag. This force can cause the bullet to deviate from its intended path.

3. What factors influence bullet deceleration due to drag?

There are several factors that can influence bullet deceleration due to drag, including the shape and size of the bullet, the density and viscosity of the air, and the velocity of the bullet. The higher the velocity and the larger the bullet, the greater the deceleration due to drag will be.

4. Can bullet deceleration due to drag be minimized?

Yes, there are ways to minimize bullet deceleration due to drag. One way is to use a bullet with a more streamlined shape, such as a pointed or boat-tail design. Another way is to increase the velocity of the bullet, as this can help overcome the resistance of the air.

5. How is bullet deceleration due to drag calculated?

Bullet deceleration due to drag is calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the bullet's velocity, density of the air, and its cross-sectional area. This equation can be used to determine the deceleration rate of a bullet and how far it will travel before coming to a complete stop.