Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Bump" message

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Some unanswered threads get a bump from Greg with the message
    I suggest that a note be added to the message saying that it was generated automatically, as it seems to cause confusion among some OPs.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

agreed

4. Nov 4, 2014 #3
    Can you link me to some threads where there is some confusion? Thanks!

5. Nov 4, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Greg, even without confusion I suggest a change in the wording that maintains your content but makes it clear that the message is auto-generated. Something like.

The forum software has noticed that you have not received any answers yet. Perhaps you can provided additional information to clarity you question.

Personally, I just think it looks a bit cheesy to have an automated message that gives the appearance that you are giving personal attention to the post.

6. Nov 4, 2014 #5
    Perhaps, but the goal is to get the best chance the OP will return and revise/add-to their message. If a faux personal message works then that is best. I have gotten a lot of positive responses, but I understand your point and am open to revising the message.

7. Nov 4, 2014 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, it's your call and you might be right that a fake personalized message is more likely to accomplish that.

8. Nov 4, 2014 #7
    Ultimately I don't want any automated message. I wish that all threads receive some response.

9. Nov 4, 2014 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yep, I agree w/ that.

10. Nov 4, 2014 #9

RonL

Gold Member

The way you have the point system set up, makes me feel more invited to be someone extending that first contact, just hope I can project the feeling of sincerity in everyone I answer.:)

11. Nov 4, 2014 #10
    I've got a good compromise..How about below the automated message you put in a statement (in a smaller font and italicized and in quotes) that reads, "I'm Greg Bernhardt and I approve this auto-post"

12. Nov 7, 2014 #11

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I took me time to find one, but here is an example:
    From the "Hi Greg," it seems that he thinks it is a personal message from you.

13. Nov 7, 2014 #12

Rocket50

Gold Member

I didn't even know it was automated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook