Calculating Speed in an Elastic Bumper Car Collision

In summary, two bumper cars, one with a mass of 78 kg and the other with a mass of 61 kg, collide with an initial velocity of 3.7 m/s. The collision is perfectly elastic and after the collision, the first car has a final velocity of 0.2655 m/s in the same direction. Using conservation of energy, we can find that the final velocity of the second car after the collision is approximately 3.43 m/s.
Oliviam12

Homework Statement

Walt and Wolfie collide in bumper cars of mass 50 kg each. Walt has a mass of 78 kg, and Wolfie has a mass of 61 kg. Walt strikes Wolfie from the rear at V = 3.7 m/s. If the collision is elastic, Wolfie is initially at rest, and Walt's final speed is 0.2655 m/s in the same direction, what is Wolfie's speed after the collision?

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2=1/2m(vprime^2+vprime^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to begin at... I don't think the equation above is the one I need but, I can't find any others. I know I don't use S=d/t. I also looked at the hyperphysics site but, the only equations for collisions and information on collisions that I could find were for head to head... Can anyone give me a push in the right direction? (no pun intended :p)

Physics news on Phys.org
Collision is elastic.

Conservation of momentum perhaps?

err? I got that it was elastic..?

Well what do you know about elastic collisions? Also remember that momentum must be conserved.

This collision is also er "head to head".With the information you are given the direction in which there are facing should have no outcome on the resulting velocites. Draw a diagram of before and after the collision and hopefully you'll see I mean.

List your known variables, and see where that takes you . .

I don't see what you mean? The variables are Walts total mass= 128 Kg. Wolfie total mass= 111 kg Walts velocity= 3.7 m/s and Walts end speed is .26555 m/s...

Oliviam12 said:
I don't see what you mean? The variables are Walts total mass= 128 Kg. Wolfie total mass= 111 kg Walts velocity= 3.7 m/s and Walts end speed is .26555 m/s...

Ok now what do we actually know about collisions??

First off, the momentum must be conserved, the sum of the momentums before equals the sum of the momentums after.

Secondly our collision is perfectly elastic, even better still it is a straight-line elastic collision . .. actually it doesn't look like you'll need to even apply this.

Just find the sums of the momentums before the interaction and equal them to the sums of the momentum after the interaction.

I'm guessing the problem is expected to be solved using conservation of kinetic energy since they specifically mentioned elastic collision(even though conservation of momentum will give the same answer)...

I'm guessing Olivam, that you haven't covered momentum yet in your class?

Conservation of energy statement to be used in this problem: (I am assuming, you are not supposed to use conservaion of linear momentum!)
m1*(u1^2)/2 = m1*(v1^2)/2 + m2*(v2^2)/2
where 1 & 2 refer to respectively, (Walt+car) & (Wolfie+car); u and v respectively refer to before-collision and after-collision situation.

Ok! Thanks I got it now

Hey.
Can you please show your solution.
I need this for my project and quite frankly, i don`t get anything.
Please? :)

What is the "Bumper Car Collision Problem"?

The "Bumper Car Collision Problem" is a physics problem that involves two bumper cars colliding in an idealized scenario. It is often used as an example to illustrate concepts such as momentum, conservation of energy, and elastic collisions.

What factors affect the outcome of a bumper car collision?

The outcome of a bumper car collision is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the cars, the angle and direction of the collision, and the elasticity (or "bounciness") of the cars' bumpers.

How does momentum play a role in a bumper car collision?

Momentum is a key concept in understanding the physics of a bumper car collision. In a closed system (where no external forces act), the total momentum before and after the collision is conserved. This means that the total momentum of the two cars before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the two cars after the collision.

What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision in the context of bumper cars?

In an elastic collision, the cars bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. This means that the cars will continue to move at the same speed and in the same direction after the collision as they did before. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the cars may stick together or move in a different direction after the collision.

How can the bumper car collision problem be applied to real-life situations?

While the bumper car collision problem is often used as a simplified example in physics, it can also be applied to real-life situations such as car crashes. Understanding concepts such as momentum and conservation of energy can help engineers design safer cars and reduce the impact of collisions on passengers.