Buy a rare earth element Thorium

In summary: I don't know, stockpiling? I thought that if prices go up in the future, owning some would be a good idea.If you just wanted some to have it, why do you need so much?
ƒ(x)
I've been searching around on Google for a place to buy a rare Earth element, specifically Thorium (.5 to 1 kilograms), and have been unsuccessful. Are there any sites that I can go to that would sell it, or has this type of commodity become unavailable to the average person due to possible destructive intentions?

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org

ok - curious What do you want it for?

Haha a fair enough question. I just want to own some thorium, its not supposed to be radioactive enough to harm a person

ƒ(x) said:
Haha a fair enough question. I just want to own some thorium, its not supposed to be radioactive enough to harm a person

Not a good enough reason. Why do you really want it?

haha
I felt the same way about (d-lysergic acid diethylamide) LSD

Nice to have. Never mind why I want it. You don't need to know. :)

ƒ(x) said:

Why do you want so much of it?

Alfi said:
haha
I felt the same way about (d-lysergic acid diethylamide) LSD

Nice to have. Never mind why I want it. You don't need to know. :)

Re-read the rules before making comments like those:

Rules said:
Illegal/Dangerous Activities:
Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited; such as: how to make explosives, manufacture crack, steal software, hack into the CIA, ...

Additional details regarding discussion of controlled substances and chemicals can be found in the Chemistry Forum Guidelines.

Well now it is not a 'dangerous' chemical.. Granted 1 kilo could probably be used in a dirty bomb, but as an investment opportunity? In the future Thorium could be used as nuclear fuel, and prices could go up I suppose.

Personally I would love to own some chemicals.. Gold, platinum, titanium, tungsten.. Nothing like a 'hey baby want to check out my Tungsten rod?' as a pickup line

From wikipedia:

Dangers and biological roles
Powdered thorium metal is pyrophoric and will often ignite spontaneously in air. Natural thorium decays very slowly compared to many other radioactive materials, and the alpha radiation emitted cannot penetrate human skin meaning owning and handling small amounts of thorium, such as a gas mantle, is considered safe. Exposure to an aerosol of thorium can lead to increased risk of cancers of the lung, pancreas and blood, as lungs and other internal organs can be penetrated by alpha radiation. Exposure to thorium internally leads to increased risk of liver diseases.

The element has no known biological role.

i think i remember seeing one of those mystery shows where a chemist was murdering people with Thorium. you probably shouldn't have any laying around.

probably a good way to end up on a terrorist watch list:

http://www.e-thepeople.org/article/6202101/view?viewtype=best

Last edited by a moderator:
Proton Soup said:
probably a good way to end up on a terrorist watch list:

http://www.e-thepeople.org/article/6202101/view?viewtype=best

Being on a watch list does not translate to a warrant for your arrest, neither does it make you guilty of breaking any laws. This is, after all, a free country, and if a man wants to own a jar of Thorium-232 for poops and giggles, he has a right to.

cronxeh said:
Being on a watch list does not translate to a warrant for your arrest, neither does it make you guilty of breaking any laws. This is, after all, a free country, and if a man wants to own a jar of Thorium-232 for poops and giggles, he has a right to.

might make it hard to fly.

Thorium was once a component of lantern mantles. Then it became radioactive, and is no longer a component of lantern mantles.

Old lantern mantles can by identified with a Geiger counter.

Really olde mantles can be identified with a Geiger-Müller detector.

Last edited:

Phrak said:
Thorium was once a component of lantern mantles. Then it became radioactive, and is no longer a component of lantern mantles.

Old lantern mantles can by identified with a Geiger counter.

Really olde mantles can be identified with a Geiger-Müller detector.

huh, it seems that those are OK, provided that quantities are not over 2g. even less for other sources.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part040/part040-0013.html

Hmm...ok. I didn't know that 1 kilo was enough to do anything with.

ƒ(x) said:
Hmm...ok. I didn't know that 1 kilo was enough to do anything with.

If you just wanted some to have it, why do you need so much? I saw plenty of websites where you could get some foil or wire.

I was thinking more along the lines of long term investment.

ƒ(x) said:

Beats keeping your money in a bank, which decreases in value. And that tiny fraction of nothing they give you as interest isn't worthy of being called a joke.

ƒ(x) said:
I've been searching around on Google for a place to buy a rare Earth element, specifically Thorium (.5 to 1 kilograms), and have been unsuccessful. Are there any sites that I can go to that would sell it, or has this type of commodity become unavailable to the average person due to possible destructive intentions?
According to 10 CFR 40, one would need a special license to possesses Th metal in such quantities.

See Proton Soups post with link to 10CFR 40.13

Not really a good investment. Th is not a rare earth, such as a lathanide, but is about as abundant as lead or molybdenum.

One would be better off investing in a rare Earth such as scandium, cerium or dysprosium or other lanthanide.

Astronuc said:
According to 10 CFR 40, one would need a special license to possesses Th metal in such quantities.

See Proton Soups post with link to 10CFR 40.13
Good enough reason to close the thread.

FAQ: Buy a rare earth element Thorium

1. What is thorium and why is it considered a rare earth element?

Thorium is a naturally occurring chemical element with the symbol Th and atomic number 90. It is classified as a rare earth element because it is found in relatively low concentrations in the Earth's crust and is often difficult to extract.

2. How is thorium used in scientific research?

Thorium has several unique properties that make it useful in scientific research, including its ability to produce nuclear energy and its high melting point. It is commonly used in nuclear reactors as a source of fuel and in high-temperature experiments.

3. Can thorium be purchased by the general public?

Yes, thorium can be purchased by the general public, but it is highly regulated due to its potential use in nuclear weapons. It is important to follow all safety precautions when handling and storing thorium.

4. What are the potential health risks associated with handling thorium?

Thorium is a radioactive element and can pose health risks if handled improperly. Exposure to high levels of thorium can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer. It is important to always follow proper safety protocols when working with thorium.

5. Where can I purchase thorium for scientific research purposes?

Thorium can be purchased from specialized scientific suppliers or through government agencies. It is important to ensure that the supplier is reputable and follows all safety regulations for handling and shipping radioactive materials.

Back