C/C++: Get Help on Unsigned Int x &= x-1;

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter andytran
  • Start date
In summary: This means that the rightmost set bit (1) in x has been removed.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the &= operator in C/C++ to count set bits in an unsigned int. The operator works by removing the rightmost set bit in the integer. This method can be used instead of looping through all bit positions and may have advantages over other counting methods. Additionally, there may be even faster ways to count set bits.
andytran
Hi,

After hrs of googling still couldn't find the answer to my question. I'm hoping i get better luck positng it here. Any C/C++ out there please help!

1)
a) Given an unsigned int x, what does x &= x-1; do and why does it work?

I know what x &= x-1 does but to explain why does it work, i have no clue.

b) How can the statement in a) be used in a C++ program to count set bits (ones) in a given unsigned int x? What is the advantage over looping through all bit positions?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, tell us what you already know. What does the & operator do in C?

- Warren

Well for 2b), think about how you would loop through the bit positions. What are you going to change for each iteration of the loop? Also think about the different ways that you could do this counting problem, and whether this &= method would have advantages over other ways... BTW, I think there is at least one faster way to do the counting...can you think of it too?

chroot said:
For starters, tell us what you already know. What does the & operator do in C?

- Warren

& is the bitwise and operator, x &= x-1; is the same as x = x & (x-1);

if an unsigned int x = 5; then

5 = 101 in binary and (x-1) = 4 = 100

so after evaluating, x = 100 in binary or x = 4 in decimal.

Related to C/C++: Get Help on Unsigned Int x &= x-1;

1. What does the "&=" operator do in C/C++?

The "&=" operator is a compound assignment operator in C/C++ that performs a bitwise AND operation between two operands and assigns the result to the left operand. In other words, it performs a logical AND on each bit of the two numbers and sets the corresponding bit in the left operand to 1 if both bits are 1, otherwise it sets it to 0.

2. What is the purpose of using "&=" in C/C++?

The "&=" operator is commonly used in C/C++ to perform bitwise operations on a variable and update its value in a single line of code. This can help improve code efficiency and readability, especially when working with binary data or flags.

3. How does the expression "x &= x-1" work in C/C++?

The expression "x &= x-1" is a shorthand way of writing "x = x & (x-1)", where "&" represents the bitwise AND operator. This expression is often used to clear the rightmost set bit in a binary number (i.e. set it to 0) by subtracting 1 from the number using two's complement. This can be useful in certain algorithms and data structures like bitmaps and binary search trees.

4. Can the "&=" operator be used on any data type in C/C++?

No, the "&=" operator can only be used on integral data types in C/C++ like integers, characters, and booleans. It cannot be used on floating-point numbers or pointers. Additionally, both operands must be of the same data type for the operator to work properly.

5. Are there any potential issues to be aware of when using "&=" in C/C++?

Yes, there are a few potential issues to be aware of when using "&=" in C/C++. One issue is that it can lead to unintentional side effects if the left operand is a complex expression or function call, as it will be evaluated twice. Another issue is that it can cause unexpected results if the operands have different data types or if the value of the right operand is not carefully chosen for the intended purpose.