C plus and ACAUSALITY in accelerating systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the speed of light and its limitations in different reference frames, specifically in accelerating frames. It is mentioned that in GR, coordinates can be chosen as convenient and do not have intrinsic physical meaning like in SR. It is also discussed that causality can appear to be violated in non-inertial frames, but this is due to the subtraction of light travel time. Some insights and references are requested for further understanding of this topic.
Austin0
Hi I just encountered a couple of concepts I was unaware of in another thread.
As the thread was an intence discussion on another topic I am posting this here.

The speed of light is not limited to c wrt an accelerating (or rotating) reference frame. It can have any value up to infinity.

But we do have to acknowledge that accelerated reference frames are fundamentally different from inertial frames: not only can distant objects exceed c, change velocity with no force applied, etc., but causality itself can be violated, ie effect can precede cause.

So any insights or references regarding this would be appreciated.
Explanations , interpretations or comments.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In accelerating frames, a preceding event may be assigned an earlier time coordinate than the following event. That does not violate causality, it just reminds us that in GR coordinates can be chosen as convenient, and don't have the intrinsic physical meaning as in SR.

Classically speaking, the only way to measure the speed of an object, is to measure the time it takes for that object to travel from one position to another. This is unfortunate because all kinds of fun things can happen between those two measurements (the object might accelerate, our own ref frame might accelerate). So then let's think about a speed measuring device that uses an infinitesimal period of time to measure the speed of an object. Will that solve our problem? No, because we can also imagine astronomical acceleration rates. An infinitesimal speed-measuring time for an astronomically-accelerating object still might give us incorrect data. Additionally, the gravitational potential might be different at the two places we measure. If anything, its just a practical issue. There is no speed faster than light and the statement about causality being "violated" is simply wrong.

Ich said:
In accelerating frames, a preceding event may be assigned an earlier time coordinate than the following event. That does not violate causality, it just reminds us that in GR coordinates can be chosen as convenient, and don't have the intrinsic physical meaning as in SR.
Glad to hear it.
But you seem to be considering Gr spacetime and a system accelerating through spatial motion as, not just equivalent, but synonymous.
I am not arguing with that viewpoint but in this case the writer seemed to be referring to moving frames.
That is why I was perplexed. AS far as my knowledge goes, relative motion [of any kind ]can produce reordering of separated events but never if there is a causal link or if they occur in the same location.
Although preceding events can be assigned an earlier time coordinate than following events.. Thanks

Although preceding events can be assigned an earlier time coordinate than following events
Oops. Yeah, GR is really strange. :redface:

Austin0 said:

But we do have to acknowledge that accelerated reference frames are fundamentally different from inertial frames: not only can distant objects exceed c, change velocity with no force applied, etc., but causality itself can be violated, ie effect can precede cause.
So any insights or references regarding this would be appreciated.
Explanations , interpretations or comments.

Thanks
I'll comment since I think I was the author of that quote. I shouldn't have said "causality can be violated", since the rule that cause must precede effect is only valid in inertial coordinate systems.

Effect can precede cause in a non-inertial coordinate system, but only at a distance beyond the horizon of the accelerated observer. It's just a result of subtracting the light travel time from the detection of the events. The detection of the cause always precedes the detection of the effect, but if the coordinate distance of the events increases drastically between the detections due to reduced relative velocity, the "light delay corrected" time of the effect may be prior to the cause.

1. What is C plus and ACAUSALITY?

C plus and ACAUSALITY are concepts used in the field of physics to describe the behavior of objects in accelerating systems. C plus refers to the speed of light, which is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. ACAUSALITY refers to the idea that events in an accelerating system may not occur in a linear, cause-and-effect manner as they would in a stationary system.

2. How do C plus and ACAUSALITY relate to each other?

C plus and ACAUSALITY are closely related because, in an accelerating system, the speed of light can appear to be different than its constant value in a stationary system. As an object accelerates, its perception of time and space changes, which can cause the speed of light to appear to be faster or slower than its constant value.

3. What is an example of C plus and ACAUSALITY in action?

An example of C plus and ACAUSALITY can be seen in the phenomenon of time dilation. As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object. This is due to the fact that the object's perception of time is affected by its high speed and changing reference frame.

4. How does C plus and ACAUSALITY impact our understanding of the universe?

C plus and ACAUSALITY have significant implications for our understanding of the universe, particularly in the realm of relativity and the behavior of objects at high speeds. These concepts help us to better understand how time, space, and the speed of light are interconnected and affected by the motion of objects.

5. Can C plus and ACAUSALITY be observed in everyday life?

While C plus and ACAUSALITY are often studied in the context of extreme speeds and accelerating systems, their effects can also be observed in everyday life. For example, GPS systems must take into account the time dilation caused by the high speeds of satellites in order to accurately determine location on Earth. Additionally, particles in accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider experience changes in their perception of time and space due to their high speeds.