Explaining the Geocentric Celestial Reference System

In summary, the GCRS (Geocentric Celestial Reference System) is a reference system used in astronomy to describe the position and motion of celestial bodies such as the Sun and Moon. It is a non-inertial system, meaning that it takes into account the rotation of the Earth. This can be confusing for some, as terminology such as "kinematically/dynamically non-rotating" may be used. However, the equations of motion in the GCRS, as recommended by the IERS, allow for the calculation of conserved quantities such as energy and angular momentum. While there is no simple equation of motion like Newton's for the GCRS, astronomers are able to accurately describe the motion of celestial bodies
Matter_Matters
Hi there guys,

I was wondering does anyone have a layman's explanation of the GCRS as defined in the title. I am confused as to whether this is an inertial or non inertial system. In text modern reference books such as this (chapter 10, section 10.3.2) they define rotating/non rotating geocentric frames which is a contributing factor to my confusion with the GCRS.

Secondly, terminology such as kinematically/dynamically non-rotating with respect to an appropriate barycentre have further led to my confusion about this seemingly trivial to understand reference system.

The equations of motion (defined in the GCRS) as recommended by the IERS technical note 36 (chapter 10) when combined with the Newtonian acceleration due to gravity allow one to derive conserved quantities such as energy and angular momentum. Of course, this would not be possible in a non-inertial frame. However, the modern terminology has me utterly confused.

Any references or explanations are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sure your GCRS exists and daily used. We describe the Sun, the Moon, and other natural and artificial celestial bodies are traveling on celestial sphere above us such and such position and speed to much extent of precision we like. Astronomers will give you a right answer. I do not think at all that there is a simple equation of motion like Newton's to describe in GCRS. Newtonian, both inertial and under gravitation, motion in IFR and rotating system both spinning and going around the Sun might consist of GCRS. Thus synthesized system cannot be inertial one. Many technical calculations used to be by hand and now by computer should be carried out.

1. What is the Geocentric Celestial Reference System?

The Geocentric Celestial Reference System (GCRS) is a coordinate system used to describe the positions and movements of objects in the sky relative to the Earth. It is based on the Earth's center as the origin point and uses a fixed set of reference axes.

2. How is the GCRS different from other celestial coordinate systems?

Unlike other systems such as the Equatorial Coordinate System or the Ecliptic Coordinate System, which have their origins at specific points in the sky, the GCRS uses the Earth's center as its origin. This makes it particularly useful for studying the motion of objects in our solar system.

3. What is the purpose of using the GCRS?

The GCRS allows astronomers to accurately track the positions and movements of celestial objects as they appear from Earth. This is important for making observations and conducting research on objects in our solar system, including planets, moons, and asteroids.

4. How is the GCRS determined and maintained?

The GCRS is determined by measuring the positions of a set of reference stars and using them to define the axes of the system. It is then maintained by regularly updating the positions of these reference stars to account for the Earth's rotation, precession, and other factors that can affect their positions in the sky.

5. Can the GCRS be used for objects outside of our solar system?

Yes, the GCRS can be used for objects outside of our solar system, but it is not the most commonly used coordinate system for this purpose. Other systems, such as the International Celestial Reference System, may be more suitable for studying objects beyond our solar system.