How to debug an infinite loop in a C++ program using fork gymnastics?

In summary, the conversation is about a program that is experiencing an infinite loop when trying to reverse a string. The person speaking is trying to troubleshoot the issue and mentions that the index in the program is decrementing without a lower bound, causing the program to continue indefinitely. They also mention that they are unable to assist further since they do not have access to a necessary library.
carl123
7.JPG

note.JPG

This is what I did but I'm getting an infinite loop of the reversed string whenever I run the program. I don't know why

C:
#include <stdio.h> 
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h> /* for fork() and getpid() */
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
string result;
void print(string s, int index){
   pid_t pid;
   pid = fork();
   if(pid == 0){
       //child
       cout<<s[index];
       index--;
       print(s,index);
       exit(0);
   }
   else if (pid < 0){
       cout<<s[index];
       index--;
       print(s,index);
       exit(0);
   }
   else{
       cout<<s[index];
       index--;
       exit(0);
   }
}
int main(){
   string s;
   int length;
   cout<<"Enter string to invert\n";
   cin>>s;
   cout<<"Reverse String: \n";
   print(s,s.size()-1);
}

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks like index decrements without bound...

Likes FactChecker
Dr Transport said:
looks like index decrements without bound...
Can you explain what you mean sorry?

index-- has no lower bound, in other words how does it know when to stop when it gets to 0? I can't help you trace it because I do not have <unistd.h>...i.e. it isn't a part of Visual Studio 2015...

1. What is a C++ program?

A C++ program is a computer program written in the C++ programming language. It is used for developing a wide range of software applications, including operating systems, device drivers, and video games.

2. How does the "fork gymnastics" concept work in C++ programs?

"Fork gymnastics" is a term used to describe the process of creating a new process from an existing one in a C++ program. This is done using the fork() system call, which creates an identical copy of the original process. The two processes then run independently, allowing for parallel execution of code.

3. What are the benefits of using "fork gymnastics" in a C++ program?

The main benefit of using "fork gymnastics" in a C++ program is the ability to achieve parallelism, which can improve the performance and efficiency of the program. It also allows for better resource management and can be useful in certain programming tasks, such as creating child processes.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using "fork gymnastics" in C++ programs?

One potential drawback of using "fork gymnastics" in C++ programs is the complexity it adds to the code. This can make it more difficult to debug and maintain. Additionally, creating and managing multiple processes can consume a significant amount of system resources, so it may not be appropriate for all applications.

5. Can "fork gymnastics" be used in other programming languages besides C++?

Yes, the concept of "fork gymnastics" can be applied to other programming languages as well, such as C and Java. However, the specific implementation may differ depending on the language. It is important to understand the specific syntax and functionality of the fork() system call in each language before implementing it in a program.