Cable-to-cable crosstalk (Capacitative Coupling)

• Thread starter wu_weidong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary, the cable-to-cable crosstalk due to capacitive coupling in a harness between two cable pairs can be calculated using the formula CCC(dB) = 20 log (VV/VC), where VC is the culprit source line voltage and VV is the victim load line voltage. In this case, the value of CCC is -26.4 dB. The source logic refers to the source voltage from a logic integrated circuit. The noise level being less than 0.4V indicates that the switching is acceptable, as any voltage below 0.4V is considered a "0." The combined resistance ZV is calculated as ZV = [1/100 + 2000 + 1/100]-1 =
wu_weidong

Homework Statement

Compute the cable-to-cable crosstalk due to capacitive coupling in a harness between two cable pairs having an average separation distance of 3 mm and a 10 m in a cable tray. The cable diameters are 1 mm and both cables are operating at a 100 ohm impedance level. Assume h = 5 mm, source logic = 3.5 V with rise/fall times of 500 ns.

The lecturer showed the following diagram when he was talking about the capacitative coupling, and the equivalent (part of) circuit representation.

2818w5.png

Homework Equations

The Capacitive Cross-talk Coupling (CCC) is defined as

CCC(dB) = 20 log (VV/VC)

where VC is the culprit source line voltage and VV is the victim load line voltage.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution given is as follows.

The second corner frequency, fc, in the spectrum of a pulse (or > pulses) corresponding to rise/fall time of 500 ns is: fc = 1/π τ = 637 kHz

CCV = 12 pF/m (read from a graph), and [ωCCVl]-1 = 2 kΩ
Thus CCC dB = -26.4 dB
Source logic = 3.5 V = 11 dBV, then
Noise = 11 dB – 26.4 dB = -15.4 dBV = 0.17 V < 0.4 V
Thus, switching OK.

I have several questions.

1) I don't know how to get CCC dB = -26.4 dB. I know I can use the voltage divider on the circuit representation to find VV/VC, which means I need to find ZV. But to do that, I need to find CV, which is the capacitance per unit length of the victim wire, and I don't know how to get this value.

2) What is "source logic"?

3) Why does noise < 0.4V imply "switching OK", and why "0.4V"?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
wu_weidong said:
I have several questions.
1) I don't know how to get CCC dB = -26.4 dB. I know I can use the voltage divider on the circuit representation to find VV/VC, which means I need to find ZV. But to do that, I need to find CV, which is the capacitance per unit length of the victim wire, and I don't know how to get this value.
You just calculated fc and you know CCV and l, so what's the problem? The given formula is kind of obvious and the answer is indeed close to 2K ohms.
2) What is "source logic"?
The source voltage. By "logic" we mean the source from a logic integrated circuit.
3) Why does noise < 0.4V imply "switching OK", and why "0.4V"?
Because if the "low" voltage limit is 0.4V then anything below that looks like a "0" and that's what you want here.

rude man said:
You just calculated fc and you know CCV and l, so what's the problem? The given formula is kind of obvious and the answer is indeed close to 2K ohms.

ZV is close to 2K ohms? Why is that?

I thought the combined resistance ZV is calculated as ZV = [1/100 + 2000 + 1/100]-1 = 0.0005 if CV = CCV. This gives me the voltage divider ZV / (ZV + [jwCCV]-1) = 0.005/(0.005 + 2000) = 2.5 * 10-7, which doesn't give me the CCC value of -26.4dB.

Last edited:
wu_weidong said:
[ωCCV]l-1 = 2 kΩ.

wu_weidong said:

I thought the combined resistance ZV is calculated as ZV = [1/100 + 2000 + 1/100]-1 =

if CV = CCV. This gives me the voltage divider ZV / (ZV + [jwCCV]-1) = 0.005/(0.005 + 2000) = 2.5 * 10-7, which doesn't give me the CCC value of -26.4dB.
You're adding impedances to admittances! What is really your voltage divider?
BTW I don't get -26.4 dB. I get a somewhat more negative number than that.

1. What is cable-to-cable crosstalk?

Cable-to-cable crosstalk, also known as capacitative coupling, is a phenomenon where signals from one cable can interfere with signals on another nearby cable. This can lead to errors and degradation of the signal quality.

2. How does cable-to-cable crosstalk occur?

Cable-to-cable crosstalk occurs when there is a capacitance between two parallel cables. This capacitance allows signals from one cable to couple or transfer onto the other cable, resulting in interference.

3. What are the effects of cable-to-cable crosstalk?

The effects of cable-to-cable crosstalk can include signal distortion, data errors, and reduced signal strength. This can ultimately lead to communication failures and decreased performance.

4. How can cable-to-cable crosstalk be mitigated?

Cable-to-cable crosstalk can be mitigated by using shielding and twisted-pair cables, which can reduce the effects of capacitance between parallel cables. Proper cable routing and separation can also help minimize crosstalk.

5. How can cable-to-cable crosstalk be measured and evaluated?

Cable-to-cable crosstalk can be measured and evaluated using specialized equipment such as a crosstalk analyzer. This equipment can measure the level of interference between cables and help identify potential problem areas for improvement.

Back