Calc 1 & Physics 1 Concurrently ?

In summary, Ernest recommends taking Physics 1 and Calc 1 concurrently, and taking Calc 2 and Physics 2 concurrently if you are an engineering major.
Poker-face
Hello all, I am heading back to school after 8 years to complete some Pre-Req course that will allow me to get into a Master's program. I have taken Pre-Calc over the summer and received an A. Is Physics 1 eaiser or harder, when you take Calc 1 concurrently?

Thanks for any insight,

Ernest G

Physics news on Phys.org
Much easier, if it's a calculus-based physics program. It's no coincidence that the discovery of calculus occurred simultaneously with the beginnings of modern physics.

At most US universities, the calculus-based intro physics course is taught under the assumption that many or most students are concurrently taking Calculus 1. You won't get any heavy calculus exercises that involve grinding out complicated derivatives or integrals. The calculus is mainly used for conceptual purposes, and to simplify derivations.

jtbell said:
The calculus is mainly used for conceptual purposes, and to simplify derivations.

Exactly.

In my physics one course it was possible to do everything without using calculus. Anything you don't get conceptually during physics, you'll learn in calc one anyway.

You really don't need but a few things from calculus to understand calc-based physics. This is what you really should try to know beforehand:

Concept of a limit
Finding tangent lines/derivatives and what that means
Figuring out how to write a sum and how that translates to an integral

That's about it. The rest will be helpful, but those will help you the most in understanding why derivations work the way they do.

Is Physics 1 eaiser or harder, when you take Calc 1 concurrently?

What I really meant is do you recommend taking them the same semester, or take Calc 1 this fall and Physics 1 in the spring.

Thanks for the response's already.

Ernest G

Sure, take 'em both. Loads of people do.

calc 2 and physics 1 together makes more sense IMO

At most colleges calc-based physics requires calc 1 as a co-requisite (not prerequisite). I took them both together at the same time and did fine. Yes, taking calculus 1 first would have some minor benefits, but nothing substantial you couldn't do in self-study anyway. This is at most colleges, as far as I know. Why don't you email the physics professor?

I can't say so far as the difficulty, but I'm doing just that this fall...Calc 1 and Physics 1. :) I could have taken credit for calc though, so I guess I know some calc already.
Edit-at my school the general idea is to take calc 1 in the fall and then calc 2 and physics 1 in the spring, for engineering majors.

Last edited:
Assuming you aren't working full time, you could do both courses no problem. The catch with classes like Calculus and Physics are the time constraints. Where I went, you would need to spend more than 2 hours per credit hour outside of class studying. But, I was a Chem. major so what do I know.

calc 1 is a prereq for Physics I here and calc2 is the coreq

I'm taking Calc I this semester then Physics I and Calc II next semester. From what I've been told it's better to do it this way for the Physics II/Calc III (Intro E&M) lineup.

1. What is the benefit of taking Calculus 1 and Physics 1 concurrently?

Taking these two courses at the same time allows students to see the direct application of calculus concepts in physics problems. It also helps students develop a stronger foundation in both subjects, as many physics problems require the use of calculus.

2. Is it possible to take Calculus 1 and Physics 1 concurrently as a freshman?

Yes, it is possible for freshmen to take these courses concurrently. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry before attempting these courses.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying for both Calculus 1 and Physics 1 concurrently?

The amount of time needed for studying will vary for each student, but it is recommended to dedicate at least 2-3 hours per week for each course. It is also important to attend all lectures and take thorough notes to stay on top of the material.

4. Will taking Calculus 1 and Physics 1 concurrently be too overwhelming?

It is possible that taking these two courses concurrently may be challenging, but it is also a common combination for students studying science or engineering. With proper time management and dedication, it is manageable and can lead to a deeper understanding of both subjects.

5. What are some tips for success when taking Calculus 1 and Physics 1 concurrently?

Some tips for success include staying organized, attending all lectures and labs, actively participating in class, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and practicing problems regularly. It is also helpful to understand the connections between calculus and physics concepts, as they often build upon each other.