1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc 1 Riemann Sums w/ velocity and distance

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is somewhat a repost... except I have figured out some of it and I have cleaned up the question.

Your task is to estimate how far an object traveled during the time interval 0<= t >= 8 , but you only have the following data about the velocity of the object.

[tex]\frac{time (sec)}{velocity (feet/sec)}\frac{0}{4}\frac{1}{1}\frac{2}{-2}\frac{3}{-3}\frac{4}{-4}\frac{5}{-3}\frac{6}{-1}\frac{7}{-3}\frac{8}{-1}[/tex]

"See the attached graph."

(PART 'A') Using the left endpoint Riemann sum, find approximately how far the object traveled. Your answers must include the correct units.

Total displacement = "I have 11ft which is the right answer."

Total distance traveled = "I cannot figure this out"

2. Relevant equations

Distance = time * velocity
    Displacement = time * velocity

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I went ahead and got the Riemann sum of the left endpoint on the graph below.

[tex]\Delta[/tex]X = 1

So I just added the y values.

The sum added up to -11 which was the answer for the displacement. I do not know why this is not the answer for the total distance but maybe I am missing something elementary.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2
    To find the distance traveled find the area of the shaded region. Area is always positive BTW :D

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3
    I tried to compute the area, but I am not getting it. Also area if area is always positive then why would the area of a curve under the x axis be negative?

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4
    Distance can never be negative.

6. Nov 29, 2009 #5
    O.k. that actually makes tons of sense (I figured I was making some elementary mistake). So, I added up the areas as positive numbers and everything was correct. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook