Calc 2 Before Physics: Advantages & Disadvantages

In summary, there is an advantage to taking calc 2 before the first calc based physics class as integration is involved in the first semester. Some people are able to handle a seven week calculus course while working 40-50 hours a week, but it may not be recommended. It is possible to take calculus and physics together, but it may require a lot of time and effort. It is also important to have a positive attitude towards learning calculus and to not be intimidated by it. Additionally, being strong in algebra can make calculus easier.
starchild75
Is there an advantage in taking calc 2 before the first calc based physics class? Many have mentioned that integration is involved in first semester physics. I have a chance to take calc 1 this summer in a seven week course. I am taking calc based physics next january because that is the next time it is offered. I just don't know about taking calc in a seven week format while working 40-50 hours a week.

Your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration is involved in a first semester calc based physics class. However, it is simple integration which you learn in calculus 1. I'm currently taking Calc. 2 and physics 1 and havn't run into any problems. Working that many hours a week in addition to taking classes would not work so good for me, but some people can do it. I wouldn't recommend it but if you feel comfortable go ahead I guess.

I am going to school full time this fall, so I won't be working anywhere near that many hours, if at all. So, I am considering taking this summer off from school.

Yes there is certainly an advantage to taking calc 2, as you'll understand the subject much better, but its not necessary to get an A in the class (at least for me, since I had a VERY lenient grading professor at a community college). Most of the material is AP physics but with more detail. I had a lot of difficulty dealing with center-of-mass problems especially since I had poor knowledge of integration. Integration won't be used in too many problems, but it is used to derive some of the formulas. Do you have to work 40-50 hours a week? If so, have you taken AP calculus before or is this your first exposure to calculus? if so, then you'll probably have to spend nearly all of your free time outside of work for the calc class.

Also, a lot of the derivations for the formulas use the cross product, but the cross product is not necessary to do the problems. If you want to learn the cross product better, pick up a book that includes multivariable calculus (calc III). Some calc I and II books may include calc III in them as well

Last edited:
I have never taken calculus. I am taking trigonometry right now, and doing well. But there seems to be a great fear of calculus, so I am apprehensive about taking the class in a seven week format, while working so many hours.

If you're in trig now, how are you able to take calculus in the summer? Don't you have to take precalculus?

I took algebra with coordinate geometry last semester, and trig this semester, both part of the precalc sequence at the community college.

If you're also taking calculus at the community college, then it shouldn't be too hard to get an A. Also, you could try picking up a calculus book (the one you need for your instructor) and study from it after finishing trig but before calc class starts. If you complete the course but still don't understand calc well, you could study from it more after the class ends. Anyways, don't worry! attitude makes a difference in dealing with your classes. Think of taking calculus as an opportunity to learn one of the most beautiful academic subjects there is!

Well said.

Thanks.

I agree with what proton's comment about attitude. The worst thing you can do is let yourself be intimidated by calculus. Just study and do all the homework (this means try and do more than is assigned by you teacher if you can). If you do that you should be fine.

starchild75 said:
But there seems to be a great fear of calculus, so I am apprehensive about taking the class in a seven week format, while working so many hours.

The hardest part of calculus is the algebra. If you are good at algebra the rest of it should be fairly easy.

1. What is Calc 2 and why is it important before studying physics?

Calc 2, short for Calculus 2, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation. It is important before studying physics because many of the concepts and equations in physics involve rates of change and integration, which are covered in Calc 2.

2. What are the advantages of taking Calc 2 before studying physics?

One advantage is that it provides a strong foundation for understanding the underlying mathematical principles in physics. Another advantage is that it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in physics.

3. Are there any disadvantages to taking Calc 2 before studying physics?

One disadvantage is that it may be challenging for some students, as it requires a strong understanding of algebra and previous math courses. Another disadvantage is that some of the concepts in Calc 2 may not directly apply to physics, causing confusion for some students.

4. Can I skip Calc 2 and still do well in physics?

While it is possible to do well in physics without taking Calc 2, it is not recommended. Without a strong foundation in calculus, students may struggle with understanding and applying key concepts in physics, hindering their overall understanding and success in the subject.

5. How can I prepare for Calc 2 before studying physics?

One way to prepare is to review algebra and trigonometry, as these are fundamental topics in Calc 2. It may also be helpful to brush up on basic calculus concepts, such as derivatives and integrals. Seeking out additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems, can also aid in preparation.