Preparing for Calc 4: Essential Math Topics

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topics
In summary: Those would be the big things I would focus on.Then I would also review limits, derivative concepts, and basic properties of integrals. Et cetera.If you were me, what would you try to review before class starts?In summary, In order to prepare for Calc 4, it would be beneficial to review topics such as differential equations, integral concepts, limits, derivative concepts, and basic properties of integrals.
Gale
Hey all,

So I took calc 3 back in 2004 actually, and though I've taken a couple of classes since then, (diff eq, complex variables, some physics, etc...) I haven't taken ANY math or science class in about 5 years. So I start this fall with Calc 4 and I'm trying to review a little from my old books. I don't have tons of time for review, so in your educated opinions, which topics would be the most beneficial to review before Calc 4?

I'm brushing over some basics, the fundamental theorem, basic integrals and derivatives, and reviewing some trig identities, but I know there's so much I've forgotten. If you were going to focus on say 2 or 3 calc topics in order to prep for calc 4, what would they be? Or maybe brushing up on calc is less important than say, trig or algebra or even geometry. I know I'll have a lot of work to do this fall, but basically, when I walk into class I just don't want to get lost immediately from being too rusty on the basics. So what do you think would be good review? Or at least very necessary topics to be familiar with?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gale said:
Hey all,

So I took calc 3 back in 2004 actually, and though I've taken a couple of classes since then, (diff eq, complex variables, some physics, etc...) I haven't taken ANY math or science class in about 5 years. So I start this fall with Calc 4 and I'm trying to review a little from my old books. I don't have tons of time for review, so in your educated opinions, which topics would be the most beneficial to review before Calc 4?

I'm brushing over some basics, the fundamental theorem, basic integrals and derivatives, and reviewing some trig identities, but I know there's so much I've forgotten. If you were going to focus on say 2 or 3 calc topics in order to prep for calc 4, what would they be? Or maybe brushing up on calc is less important than say, trig or algebra or even geometry. I know I'll have a lot of work to do this fall, but basically, when I walk into class I just don't want to get lost immediately from being too rusty on the basics. So what do you think would be good review? Or at least very necessary topics to be familiar with?

Thanks!

What you call Calc 4 others call it Calc 2, Calc 3, Advanced Calculus, Vectorial Calculus...impossible to know if you don't

write down at least the chapters of the syllabus in your school.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
What you call Calc 4 others call it Calc 2, Calc 3, Advanced Calculus, Vectorial Calculus...impossible to know if you don't

write down at least the chapters of the syllabus in your school.

DonAntonio

I think he means differential equations. At least in Rutgers they refer to it as calc 4 as well.

Gale said:
So I start this fall with Calc 4

What does Calc 4 cover at your university? Most colleges and universities in the US have a three-semester calculus sequence.

jtbell said:
What does Calc 4 cover at your university? Most colleges and universities in the US have a three-semester calculus sequence.
It could be 4 quarters where quarter 4 is vector calculus.

We could all try and guess what it is, or we can wait for the OP to respond.

Vanadium 50 said:
We could all try and guess what it is, or we can wait for the OP to respond.

But that takes all the fun out of it.

Calc 4 at my school is a combined course of Diffy Q and Calc 3 with a peak into PDE's.

Haha. Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the differences in curriculum. My current school has a very comparable curriculum to my previous two schools, so I assumed most places were the same. All I have right now is the course description which reads:

"Multiple integrals, Taylor's formula in several variables, line and surface integrals, calculus of vector fields, Fourier series."

Which honestly sounds a lot like the multivariable calculus course I've already taken. I've also taken Diff Eq and Complex Variables Analysis. But again, those were years ago. Looking at the list of topics I'm most afraid of Taylor's formula, Fourier series, and anything involving integrals... The multiple integrals and vectors don't sound too bad, as I feel fairly comfortable with those concepts, even if I may have forgotten much of the math itself...

But there you go. If you were me, what would you try to review before class starts?

I would review sequences & series, power series in one variable and single integrals myself.

1. What are the essential math topics to review before taking Calc 4?

The essential math topics to review before taking Calc 4 include: functions and their graphs, limits and continuity, derivatives and their applications, integrals and their applications, and series and sequences.

2. How can I prepare for Calc 4 if I struggle with math?

If you struggle with math, it is important to start studying early and consistently. Take advantage of resources such as tutoring, online practice problems, and study groups. Also, make sure to review fundamental math concepts before diving into more advanced topics.

3. Is it necessary to review all of Calc 3 before starting Calc 4?

While reviewing Calc 3 can be helpful, it is not necessary to review the entire course before starting Calc 4. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of integration and differentiation techniques, as these are used extensively in Calc 4.

4. How important is it to have a solid foundation in algebra and trigonometry for Calc 4?

Having a solid foundation in algebra and trigonometry is crucial for success in Calc 4. Many concepts in Calc 4 build upon these fundamental skills, and without a strong understanding of them, it can be difficult to grasp more advanced topics.

5. Are there any specific resources or study methods you recommend for preparing for Calc 4?

Some helpful resources for preparing for Calc 4 include practice problems and exercises from textbooks, online practice quizzes and tutorials, and attending review sessions or seeking help from a tutor. It is also important to regularly review and practice concepts, rather than cramming before exams.