1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc 4 Student, Please help me understand Existance and Uniqueness

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    Ok, after going thru the proof, the only think that still eludes me is the region of definition given in the theorem itself. The rectangle where f and the partial of f with respect to y are known to be continuous.

I am thinking of this three dimensionally, and I do not know if this is the correct way to think about it? In other words, I am imagining that f and its partial are continuous "ON" the rectangle, not "IN" the rectangle. I have seen the theorem written with both words.

My 3-d take on this is that f and its partial are known continuous at every point, (x,y), within the confines of the rectangle. I am imagining f and its partial to be graphed in the z direction in other words.

I think I am confused about this because of the nature of picard iteration, where y is a function of x. I am considering y to be independent of x in my thinking, this is why I am not sure it is right.

So, is it true that continuity of f and its partial exist at every interior point in the rectangle?

Is it correct to think of this three dimensionally, as if f and the partial are being graphed ON the rectangle in the z direction.

ALSO, I HAVE A ROUGH DRAFT OF A PAPER I AM WRITING FOR STUDENTS WORKING AHEAD LIKE MYSELF, I THINK YOU CAN GET A BETTER JIST OF MY UNDERSTANDING THERE, ON PAGE 2.

Thanks

Dane

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2
    Could this in some ways be analogous to thinking of a direction field? Even though we know y to be a function of x while graphing the direction field of y'=f(x,y), we still graph lineal elements, which seems analogous to graphing in the z direction. Does f being continuous in, or on the rectangle insinuate that the direction field exist in that rectangle?

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Also, any critique of the paper is certainly welcome, before I submit it I will have it reviewed to make sure all is well.

Thanks

Dane

PS, pretty hard to understand for a mining engineering major, lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook