Calc III and Solid State Physics courses in same semester?

In summary, the speaker is a student who has breezed through a summer Calc II course and will be taking Solid State Physics and Calc III concurrently. They are also taking an applied electronics course and an object oriented programming course. They are concerned about the difficulty of Solid State Physics since they will be taking it with Calc III, but they have done well in math in the past and are willing to put in extra time to study. They are seeking advice from their advisor and have had success with a nontraditional education path in the past.
JustSomeWiggle
Hi! So I just breezed through a summer Calc II course (took E&M and Modern Physics last semester) and will be approaching Solid State Physics and Calc III this coming semester together. I've taken my school's upper division Linear Algebra course and passed before last semester and continue to do well in math, so do any of you think I'll have trouble with Solid State Physics in the coming semester considering I'll be taking Calc III concurrently? I'll also be taking an applied electronics course and a object orience programming course, but I have little worries about those classes based off of what I've heard from other students.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend speaking with your advisor. They know how these courses are structured at your university, and are familiar with your particular situation. We would just be guessing. For example, I would have thought it would be impossible to take E&M and modern physics prior to calc II and actually pass the classes (I don't think I could have!), but it seems to have worked out fine for you.

jason

It all depends on how you manage your time. My object oriented class took me 5-10 hours a week. Calc 3 took me 10 hours easy. Electronics and SSP can both take similar time scales. If you think you can put in 40-50 hours a week plus class time without getting burned out go for it. If not, you might want to ease up.

jasonRF said:
I would recommend speaking with your advisor. They know how these courses are structured at your university, and are familiar with your particular situation. We would just be guessing. For example, I would have thought it would be impossible to take E&M and modern physics prior to calc II and actually pass the classes (I don't think I could have!), but it seems to have worked out fine for you.

jason
Ah, to the advisor it is then!
That's the tricky part as I've had little problem following an nontraditional education path thus far. I found very little difficulty in understanding the concepts of fields in E&M and from what I'm aware I shouldn't really be exposed with that until Calc III. I know that I'll run into some diffEq and partial diffEq in Solid State that I'm a little worried about, but I will be getting a math for physics textbook to help guide my way and spend a lot of extra time out of class on it. I'm no math savant, so it won't be easy by any stretch; I'm just hoping due to course offering/scheduling that I can clear through this course this semester.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be hesitant to take an upper level physics course with so little math, but it seems you've done okay so far.

1. What is the difficulty level of taking both Calc III and Solid State Physics in the same semester?

Taking both Calc III and Solid State Physics in the same semester can be quite challenging for many students. These courses require a strong foundation in mathematics and a deep understanding of complex concepts. It is important to manage your time effectively and stay on top of your coursework to succeed in both courses.

2. Is it recommended to take both Calc III and Solid State Physics at the same time?

It is generally not recommended to take both Calc III and Solid State Physics in the same semester, unless you have a strong background in both subjects and are confident in your ability to handle the workload. These courses require a significant amount of time and effort, and it may be more beneficial to spread them out over multiple semesters.

3. How much overlap is there between Calc III and Solid State Physics?

There is some overlap between Calc III and Solid State Physics, as both courses involve a strong foundation in calculus and mathematical concepts. However, Solid State Physics also introduces new concepts such as quantum mechanics and materials science, which may not be covered in Calc III. It is important to pay attention to the specific course curriculum to determine the level of overlap.

4. Are there any specific study tips for succeeding in both Calc III and Solid State Physics simultaneously?

Some tips for succeeding in both Calc III and Solid State Physics include: staying organized, managing your time effectively, seeking help when needed, and practicing regularly. It may also be helpful to form study groups with classmates or seek tutoring services to further reinforce your understanding of the material.

5. How can I prepare for the workload of taking both Calc III and Solid State Physics in the same semester?

To prepare for the workload of taking both Calc III and Solid State Physics, it is important to plan ahead and start studying early. This will allow you to stay on top of your coursework and avoid feeling overwhelmed. It may also be helpful to review material from previous math and physics courses to ensure a strong foundation before diving into these challenging courses.