1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc III Chain rule - which vars to put in?

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

z = cos(x^2 + 3y^2)
    x = ucosv
    y=usinv

find dz/dv

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I can do these fairly well, but I'm a little unsure of the "protocol" for which variables to put back in. Sometimes (in this case) I can't really put everything as v. So I choose to put everything as u and v since they are on the same "level."

for example, I get that

(dv/dv) = (dy/dv)(dz/dy) + (dx/dv)(dz/dx)

When taking those partials and multiplying out ( leaving variables as they are.. )

= - ucos(v)sin(x^2 + 3y^2)6y + usin(v)sin(x^2 + 3y^2)2x

So what is the technique? Replace all x and y with ucosv and usinv respectively, and leave u in the partial derivative?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

This is not quite right. The partial derivatives you have defined are keeping x constant (to get dy/dv) and y constant to get dx/dv. So u is not necessarily kept constant, but you have taken the partial derivative as if it were constant.

EDIT: So sorry! I got myself confused! you have done it correctly! Ignore Everything I was saying please!

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    I have no idea what you mean.

My partials are
    dy/dv = ucos(v)
    dz/dy = -sin(x^2 + 3y^2)6y
    dx/dv = -usinv
    dz/dx = -sin(x^2 + 3y^2)2x

Then I multiplied them and added as such:

(dy/dv)(dz/dy) + (dx/dv)(dz/dx)

What part of this is wrong?

EDIT:

Saw your edit, no apologies needed. Is it correct to use u and v in the final partial and phase out x and y?

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

OK, so now I've looked at it again, I see what you are saying:
    [tex]\frac{dz}{dv} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \LARGE | \small _y \normalsize \ \ \frac{dx}{dv} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \LARGE | \small _x \normalsize \ \ \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]
    Right? (I hope I did the latex correctly). Anyway, your evaluation of the partial derivatives are correct, but you derivatives (i.e. dx/dv and dy/dv) are not correct, because they are full derivatives, yet you have treated u as constant.

Edit: my latex skills aren't amazing, but the line and small x (or y) show what is being held constant when the partial derivative is taken.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. Feb 29, 2012 #5
    I'm sorry, it's my fault for not being clear (latex stopped working on my browser) but, EVERY derivative I've written here is intended a partial, including dz/dv. My goal is the partial derivative of function z with respect to variable v. That's why I hold u constant.

7. Feb 29, 2012 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

Oh, I get you. So the goal is the partial derivative of z with respect to v, while holding u constant. Yes, I think you've got the right answer then. So in the final answer you can have u, v, x and y in there, it doesn't matter, you can rearrange it whichever way you like really.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook