1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc or engineering calc?

1. Jul 15, 2006 #1
    I would like to switch my major from chemistry to chemical engineering; however there has been some discussion that I may have to many credits to be accepted into the program. I was planning on finishing most of my prerequisites this year which I thought included calculus, however the department requires engineering calculus. What is the difference if any?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2006 #2
    I have never heard of engineering calculus, could you list the description? If I may ask, what school is this at?

At most schools there are two different classes on calculus, one is intended for business/life and social science majors, which has applications geared toward those majors and is generally a little easier. The other is for math/physics/engineering etc... majors.
    Maybe Engineering calc is what they call the class intended for science majors.

Anyway, you should ask someone in the department what the difference is. You should also look in the text and see if there is a difference from what you studied.

4. Jul 15, 2006 #3
    There are some math courses specifically for engineering students, not specifically "Calculus" though
  5. Aug 4, 2006 #4
    If you do any type of engineering, you probably need Engineering Calculus. If you are doing something like chemistry or biology, regular calculus would suffice.
  6. Aug 4, 2006 #5

Staff: Mentor

What do the course descriptions for calculus and engineering calculus say, in your university's catalog? Have any professors posted syllabi and course materials online for them? Those should tell you the subjects covered, and which textbooks are used.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?