What's the Difference between Calculus and Engineering Calculus?

• Thread starter distilled16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the student is considering switching their major from chemistry to chemical engineering but is concerned about having too many credits. They planned to finish their prerequisites, including calculus, but the department requires engineering calculus instead. The difference between regular calculus and engineering calculus is that the latter is geared towards science majors. The student is advised to speak with someone in the department and compare course descriptions and materials to determine the differences between the two types of calculus.
distilled16
I would like to switch my major from chemistry to chemical engineering; however there has been some discussion that I may have to many credits to be accepted into the program. I was planning on finishing most of my prerequisites this year which I thought included calculus, however the department requires engineering calculus. What is the difference if any?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of engineering calculus, could you list the description? If I may ask, what school is this at?

At most schools there are two different classes on calculus, one is intended for business/life and social science majors, which has applications geared toward those majors and is generally a little easier. The other is for math/physics/engineering etc... majors.
Maybe Engineering calc is what they call the class intended for science majors.

Anyway, you should ask someone in the department what the difference is. You should also look in the text and see if there is a difference from what you studied.

Regards.

There are some math courses specifically for engineering students, not specifically "Calculus" though

If you do any type of engineering, you probably need Engineering Calculus. If you are doing something like chemistry or biology, regular calculus would suffice.

What do the course descriptions for calculus and engineering calculus say, in your university's catalog? Have any professors posted syllabi and course materials online for them? Those should tell you the subjects covered, and which textbooks are used.

1. What is the difference between Calc and Engineering Calc?

Calc, short for Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation. Engineering Calc is a specialized version of Calc that is applied specifically to engineering problems, such as determining forces, stresses, and velocities in structural design.

2. Do I need to take Calc before Engineering Calc?

It is recommended to have a strong understanding of basic Calc concepts before taking Engineering Calc. However, some universities may offer a combined course that covers both topics. It ultimately depends on the curriculum of your specific program.

3. What are some common applications of Calc in engineering?

Calc is used in various areas of engineering, such as determining the flow rate of fluids in pipes, analyzing stress and strain in structures, and optimizing designs for efficiency and safety.

4. Is Calc or Engineering Calc more difficult?

This is subjective and may vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. However, Engineering Calc may be more challenging for those who are not as interested in engineering principles and applications.

5. How can I prepare for a Calc or Engineering Calc course?

To prepare for a Calc or Engineering Calc course, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. You can also review basic Calc concepts, such as derivatives and integrals, to get a head start on the material. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems.