How to Calculate Impact Height for 40 g's Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object of a given mass and the desired acceleration upon impact with the Earth. The person asking the question is unsure of how to calculate the necessary height for the object to experience an acceleration of 40 g's. After further clarification and discussion, it is determined that the acceleration would depend on the properties of the surface the object falls on. The conversation ends with the individual finding the answer themselves.
tmifsu530
Hi everyone,

This may seem like a simple problem but it seems to be escaping me.

Say I have an object of a given mass, m, and I want it to impact the Earth at an acceleration of 40 g's. What height, h, must I drop the object at?

Again, I feel like I'm just missing a step so please let me know how you got there if you can find the answer.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Um? You haven't explained what "impacting at a certain acceleration" means. Do you mean at a speed? g is a unit of acceleration, not velocity.

I'm sorry. I want the acceleration that it experiences once it hits the ground to be 40 g's, assuming perfectly inelastic collision with the Earth.

It does not matter from which height you drop something, it will never experience greater then 1g acceleration.

Nevermind, as I attempted to rephrase the question as I believe I wasn't being clear I worked it out myself! Ha thanks for the help anyway!

tmifsu530 said:
I'm sorry. I want the acceleration that it experiences once it hits the ground to be 40 g's, assuming perfectly inelastic collision with the Earth.

Perfectly inelastic? I imagine it would experience infinite acceleration.

tmifsu530 said:
Hi everyone,

Say I have an object of a given mass, m, and I want it to impact the Earth at an acceleration of 40 g's. What height, h, must I drop the object at?

Thanks!

If you are talking about Shock and Vibration measurement, that will depend on the object itself and the properties of the surface that the object falls on.

For instance if you dropped a hard drive from feet feet onto a very plush carpet, you might get 40gs (2ms half-sine). But pull the carpet back and let the drive fall onto bare concrete floor and you'll get over 1,000gs (0.5ms 1/2 sine-wave).

1. How do you calculate height for G force?

The formula for calculating height for G force is H = (G x T^2) / (2 x π^2), where H is the height in meters, G is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and T is the duration of the G force in seconds.

2. What is G force and why is it important to calculate height?

G force is a measure of the acceleration experienced by an object due to gravity or other forces. It is important to calculate height for G force in activities such as roller coasters, airplane maneuvers, and space travel, as it can affect the physical well-being of individuals and the structural integrity of objects.

3. Can G force affect a person's health?

Yes, G force can have negative effects on a person's health. High G forces can cause symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, and loss of consciousness. Prolonged exposure to G forces can also lead to more serious health issues such as vision problems and cardiovascular stress.

4. How do variables such as air resistance and body position affect the calculation of height for G force?

Air resistance and body position can affect the calculation of height for G force. Air resistance can decrease the acceleration experienced by an object and therefore, the height calculation would be lower. Body position can also impact the amount of G force experienced, as different body positions have varying levels of resistance to G forces.

5. Is there a limit to how high G force can be?

There is no theoretical limit to how high G force can be, as it can be influenced by factors such as speed, duration, and acceleration. However, the human body can only withstand a certain amount of G force before experiencing negative effects, and the structural integrity of objects may also have a limit.