Calculate how far the spring is stretched from its position?

In summary, the block is suspended at rest from a spring (k=45N/m) along a incline as shown below (where theta= 17°). There are forces of gravity pushing down on the block, normal force pushing up, and the force of the block's mass pulling the spring.
andreyp27
A 7.5kg block is suspended at rest from a spring (k=45N/m) along a incline as shown below (where theta= 17°)

Attachments

• 1396234966133.jpg
    1396234966133.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
good pic and question.
please show your best attempt.

Well I am not sure what to do next

Attachments

• 1396241120982.jpg
    1396241120982.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 460
Also I know that F=mg so I get 35N=-45N/m(x)

Start with a more careful free-body diagram for the block: what are the forces on it?
(hint: gravity, spring, and only one other...)

[edit: you appear to have Fk pointing directly upwards ... if this is the force from the spring you need to take another look at the diagram: which direction is the spring pulling on the block?
Don't know what Fp is supposed to be. Force of a "pull"? What is pulling on the black?]

Well there is force of gravity pushing down on the block and normal force pushing up than then the the force of the blocks mass is pulling the spring while the spring resists the pull...so that's what I have there in my free-body diagram

You are very confused about forces.
You listed four and there are only three - so you have one too many.

"pushing up" is too vague: the direction of the normal force is "upwards perpendicular to the ramp".

the spring force points "up along the ramp".

"gravity" is what we call the pull that something has due to it's mass.
you don't need a separate force for it. It points directly down.

redraw your free body diagram to show the correct directions and forces.

Likes 1 person
So I changed my free-body diagram. .but I still can't get the answer .48m

Attachments

• 1396243700759.jpg
    1396243700759.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Which direction does the spring pull in?
Have you never pulled on a spring in your life?

This is a serious problem - do you not understand what a force is?

1. How do you calculate the distance a spring is stretched?

To calculate the distance a spring is stretched, you will need to measure the spring's original length (L) and its current length (l). The distance stretched will be equal to the difference between l and L, represented by d = l - L.

2. What is the formula for calculating the distance a spring is stretched?

The formula for calculating the distance a spring is stretched is d = l - L, where d is the distance stretched, l is the current length of the spring, and L is the original length of the spring.

3. What units are used to measure the distance a spring is stretched?

The distance a spring is stretched can be measured in various units, such as meters (m), centimeters (cm), or inches (in). It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation.

4. What factors can affect the distance a spring is stretched?

The distance a spring is stretched can be affected by factors such as the force applied to the spring, the material and thickness of the spring, and the temperature. These factors can alter the elasticity of the spring and thus impact the distance it is stretched.

5. Is there a maximum distance a spring can be stretched?

Yes, there is a maximum distance that a spring can be stretched before it reaches its elastic limit. Once this limit is exceeded, the spring will not return to its original length and may even become permanently deformed. It is important to be aware of this limit when using springs in experiments or applications.