1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate integral using Cauchy's formula

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##K## be a circle ##|z-2|=2##. Using Cauchy's formula calculate ##\int _K\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z^2-2z-3}dz##

2. Relevant equations

Cauchy's formula: ##f(a)2\pi i=\oint _k\frac{f(z)dz}{z-a}##

3. The attempt at a solution

It's my first time dealing with this kind of problems so I am not really sure that what I am doing is in fact the right way to do it. I would be really happy if one could check my solution.

##\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z^2-2z-3}=\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{(z-3)(z+1)}## therefore ##a_1=3## and ##a_2=-1##.

For ##a_1=3##:

##f(z)=\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z+1}##

##f(a)2\pi i=\oint _k\frac{f(z)dz}{z-a}##

##\frac{2\sin(3)}{4}2\pi i=\int _K\frac{\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z+1}}{z-3}dz##

For ##a_2=-1##:

##f(z)=\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z-3}##

##f(a)2\pi i=\oint _k\frac{f(z)dz}{z-a}##

##\frac{-2\sin(-1)}{-4}2\pi i=\int _K\frac{\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z-3}}{z+1}dz##

##-\pi i\sin(1)=\int _K\frac{\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z-3}}{z+1}dz##

Since ##K## is a circle with center in 2 and radius 2, point ##a_2=-1## is not inside ##K##. Which means that only integral around ##a_1=3## counts and therefore

##\int _K\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z^2-2z-3}dz=\int _K\frac{\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z+1}}{z-3}dz=\frac{2\sin(3)}{4}2\pi i##.

I HOPE so. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have the basic idea down, but what you wrote below is incorrect.

For the given K and the way you chose ##a## and f, you can't say that
    $$f(a)2\pi i=\oint _k\frac{f(z)dz}{z-a}$$ because function f isn't differentiable everywhere inside the region bounded by K. Therefore, the stuff you wrote below isn't correct:
    Note also that when you considered the other pole, you said
    $$\int _K \frac{\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z+1}}{z-3}\,dz = \frac{2 \sin 3}{4}2\pi i.$$ You also said
    $$\int _K \frac{\frac{(z-1)\sin(z)}{z-3}}{z+1}\,dz = -\pi i \sin 1.$$ You have the same integral equal to two different quantities!

When you calculated what the integral equaled by considering the pole at z=3, you were done. The pole at z=-1 is outside the contour, so you don't need to consider it at all.

4. Mar 26, 2014 #3
    I completely agree with that. I only wanted to check if my idea is right, where I completely forgot that ##f## may not be Holomorphic outside ##K##.

So in case I would have two singular points inside given ##K##, than the integral would be a sum of two, or not?

5. Mar 26, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, that's how it will turn out, as you will learn later.

6. Mar 26, 2014 #5
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted