Calculate Minimum Horsepower to Drag 340 kg Box at 1.45 m/s

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jo-AnneLi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Jo-AnneLi
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What minimum horsepower must a motor have to be able to drag a 340 kg box along a level floor at a speed of 1.45 m/s if the coefficient of friction is 0.50?

Homework Equations



Power = Change in Energy/time = Work/time
Change in energy = Final energy - Initial energy
Work = Net Force x displacement
Force of Friction = Normal force x coefficient of friction = mg x coefficient of friction
Kinetic energy = 1/2 x m x v^2
Change in gravitational potential energy = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that we should always start with the equation Power = Work/time or Power = Change in energy/time, and then sub in values. The problem is that of the equations given above, none of them seem to work. We are not given displacement. I found the friction force = 1667.7 N but I'm unsure as to how to find net force. Kinetic energy = 357.425 J, but is that the initial/final energy and how do I find the other one?
I'm just really confused about this question...please help! You don't have to tell me the whole solution, just a hint would be nice.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint..there is no net force since the box is moving at constant velocity...so then what is the force being provided by the motor?
Hint 2: there is another formula for power equivalent to W/t...if W = Fd , then P = Fd/t...what is d/t?
Welcome to the Physics Forums!:smile: