Calculate Sum of Charges at Point A/B

  • Thread starter Thread starter somasimple
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charges Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
somasimple
Gold Member
Messages
765
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Attached figure.
3 charges : q1, q2 and q3 are on a plane (for simplification).
We want to compute the resulting charge at some point of the plane.
1/ Is it possible to sum (for computation) these charges to an arbitrary point A?
2/ or B?

Homework Equations


these ones ?
http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1160/Ch17/Vector.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/mulpoi.html

The Attempt at a Solution


I supposse I can't do it directly. I may use force or voltage or electric field?
 
Attachments
  • 3_charges_02.jpg
    3_charges_02.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're looking for. The charge at point A is zero, because there is no charge there.
 
I want to combine the 3 charges at point A or B.
I know that is possible to compute the voltage V=kq1/r1...
I'm interested in the result charge (virtual).
 
You can determine the potential or electric field at the point A, but you can't just reform the problem and just place a charge at an arbitrary point.
 
OK thanks but is it possible to compute the potential or EF at B (since distance becomes null)?
 
Well, if B is a point inside the sphere, and if the said sphere is hollow, then you can find the electric field I think...of course, the field will be zero inside the shell if its conducting.