1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the amount of work done on the box?

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1)the illustration shows beatricce pushing on a heavy box.beatrice pushes with a force of 40n.how can you determine if beatrice is doing work on the box?

2)beatrice pushes the box 2m to the right.what formula should yo useto caculate the amount of work done on the box?

3)how much work does beatrice do pushing the box?

2. Relevant equations

f=40n , work=force*distance

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Would have been nice to see this

Look at the defintion of work

4. Jul 5, 2008 #3
    my attempt at work was 40*2=80 thats the answer i would put so is it right an how would i express that number

an what do they mean by this
    when force is measured in newtons and distance is measured in meters the si unit of work is newton*meter(n*m)..im so confused

5. Jul 5, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well 80 is correct for the 2nd part.

Force is in Newtons (N)
    displacement (distance in a straight line) is in metres(m)

Work=Force*displacement

so your units would be the product of the unit of force and distance which is Nm and work usually expressed in Joules (J) . So you can say that the 1J=1Nm

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5
    i kinda wanna be on the safe side so i can answer the first question like this.
    1)Well i could tell if beatrice is doing work based on if the object moves an if it moves ,how much it moves.
    2)i should use the formula work=force*movement
    3)beatrice does 80(j) work on the box.

Are these answeres correct an is there a way i can express this better .this is a summer packett an i really want to make a good second impression on my physics teachers

7. Jul 5, 2008 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well 2 and 3 are correct (but write work=Force*displacement)

For 1 it's just the fact that the force exerted on the box moves its point of application, so work is done.

8. Jul 5, 2008 #7
    thanks man for the help...im trying to get this wrk done early

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?