1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculate the Dirac delta function integral

1. Jan 3, 2018 #26

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@PRASHANT KUMAR even at this level graphs help. I have a nice graph of ##x^2-3x +2##, so I can see clearly what the function is doing about the zeros and what happens when I substitute ##y## It is easy to miss that the function has a negative gradient around ##x=1## so the natural integral substitution comes out the wrong way.

2. Jan 3, 2018 #27

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good point. Best to stick with the way I did it first time!

3. Jan 3, 2018 #28
    so where does the solution lie?

4. Jan 3, 2018 #29
    yes it has negative gradient but i could not link these two : natural integral and negative gradient

5. Jan 3, 2018 #30
    ##\int_1^{-1}\delta(x)dx = -1## i think this should be 1

6. Jan 3, 2018 #31

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay. Let's look at

##I = \int f(x) \delta((x-a)(x-b))dx## where ##a < b##

Your problem is a special case of this, but it may be easier to look at the general case to see what is going on.

If we draw a graph of this quadratic, we get two roots at ##x = a## and ##x = b##. So, we can see that:

##I = \int_{a-\epsilon}^{a+\epsilon} f(x) \delta((x-a)(x-b))dx + \int_{b-\epsilon}^{b+\epsilon} f(x) \delta((x-a)(x-b))dx##

Where we have focused on the two zeroes and taken a small interval around each, using a small ##\epsilon##

Now, if we do the substitution ##y = (x-a)(x-b)## and ##dy = (2x - a -b) dx## and

##I = \int_{y_1}^{y_2} \frac{f(x)}{2x-a-b} \delta(y)dy + \int_{y_3}^{y_4} \frac{f(x)}{2x-a-b} \delta(y)dy##

Where ##y_1, y_2## etc. are the y-values for ##a-\epsilon, a+\epsilon## etc.

Now, from the graph, we have to note that ##y_1 > 0## and ##y_2 < 0##. So, we need to get these limits in the correct order. Also, as we have this in the Dirac function for ##y##, we are simply evaluating at y=0, which equates to ##x =a## and ##x=b## respectively. So:

##I = -\frac{f(x)}{2x-a-b}|_{x=a} + \frac{f(x)}{2x-a-b}|_{x=b} = \frac{f(a) +f(b)}{b-a}##

7. Jan 3, 2018 #32

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

##\int_1^{-1}\delta(x)dx = -\int_{-1}^{1}\delta(x)dx = -1##

As I said, this is generally true for any integral on any interval. If you swap the limits, you change the sign of the integral.

8. Jan 3, 2018 #33
    yes that is true if we change the sign then the limits are interchanged but how can it imply that the lower limit should always be less than the upper limit

9. Jan 3, 2018 #34

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It doesn't, but if you use a substitution to solve an integral sometimes the limits come out the wrong way. You might get something like:

##\int_{\pi}^{0} \sin(x) dx = -\cos(x)|_{\pi}^0 = -1 -1 = -2##

And, we know that ##\int_0^{\pi} \sin(x) = 2##

This is a basic property of the integral we are talking about here.

10. Jan 3, 2018 #35
    while solving the problem if we do such type of substitution then it is necessary to put a negative sign otherwise it will be wrong?

11. Jan 3, 2018 #36

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. But, you were going to use:

(X) ##\int_{-1}^{1}\delta(x)dx = 1##

And, you were going to assume that the order of the limits doesn't matter. So, you were going to assume that:

##\int_1^{-1}\delta(x)dx = 1##

Which would be wrong. So, you have to get the limits in the right order before you apply equation (X).

Take a look at the first property of the definite integral here (half way down the page).

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DefnOfDefiniteIntegral.aspx

12. Jan 3, 2018 #37

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed, as the OP is now banned.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook