Why do integrals featuring Dirac deltas equate to certain values?

In summary, the Dirac delta function is a special type of distribution that acts like a point mass at a specific value. When integrating with respect to x, all occurrences of x in the other functions must be replaced with the value at which the delta function is centered. This can be seen as summing over the delta function and its argument, where the delta function is only non-zero at the value it is centered on. This concept can also be understood in terms of distribution theory, where the delta function is defined as a functional acting on "nice" functions, and the offset of the delta function can be obtained through a change of variables.
FatPhysicsBoy

Homework Statement

Having trouble understanding dirac deltas, I understand what they look like and how you can express one (i.e. from the limiting case of a gaussian) but for the life of me I can't figure out why the results of some integrals featuring dirac deltas equate to what they do.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

An example of one particularly baffling to me is the following (given [itex]u=x+a[/itex], and [itex]du = dx[/itex]):

1) [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(x-u)f(u-a)du = f(x-a)[/itex],

especially when trying to compare to the 'standard' definition of how the dirac delta behaves under an integral:

2) [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(x-x_{0})f(x)dx = f(x_{0})[/itex],

in my mind it looks like 1) should be equal to [itex]f(u) = f(x+a)[/itex] because I look at it as [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(x-u)f(x)dx[/itex] and compare to 2).

Physics news on Phys.org
Try letting ##g(u) = f(u-a)## and then apply (2) with ##x = u##.

Orodruin said:
Try letting ##g(u) = f(u-a)## and then apply (2) with ##x = u##.

I don't follow? Why do I do this and also I don't understand, so I have ##\int^{\infty}_{\infty}\delta(x-u)g(u)du## but ##x=u## means I have ##\delta(0)##?

I think Orodruin just meant equation (2), but replace x with u, i.e.
[tex]\int_\infty^\infty \delta (u-u_0) g(u) du = g(u_0)[/tex]
now just use ##g(u)=f(u-a)## and continue from there.

BruceW said:
I think Orodruin just meant equation (2), but replace x with u, i.e.
[tex]\int_\infty^\infty \delta (u-u_0) g(u) du = g(u_0)[/tex]
now just use ##g(u)=f(u-a)## and continue from there.

##\int_\infty^\infty \delta(u-u_0)f(u-a)du = f(u_0 - a)## I still don't understand? So ##\int_\infty^\infty \delta(x-u)f(x-a)dx = f(-u-a) = f(-x-2a)##

I think I'm seriously missing something :S

FatPhysicsBoy said:
I think I'm seriously missing something :S

Yes, you are doing the wrong replacements in the functions. When you have a ##\delta(x-u)## and integrate with respect to ##x##, you need to replace all occurrences of ##x## in the other functions by ##u##, not by ##-u## as you did here.

Also, when you integrate with respect to ##x##, the result cannot possibly depend on ##x##. Keep track of what is your integration variables and what are free variables!

FatPhysicsBoy said:
##\int_\infty^\infty \delta(u-u_0)f(u-a)du = f(u_0 - a)## I still don't understand?
This is the answer, but with ##u_0## replaced with ##x##.

Uh wait... I'm re-reading your first post. You say given ##u=x+a##, you want to find
[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(x-u)f(u-a)du[/tex]
But ##\delta(x-u)= \delta(-a)## So this will always be zero (assuming ##a## is some nonzero constant). So equation 1) will just be equal to zero if you want to impose the constraint ##u=x+a##. So I'm guessing you don't want to impose this constraint really, or the answer is not very interesting...

Orodruin said:
Yes, you are doing the wrong replacements in the functions. When you have a ##\delta(x-u)## and integrate with respect to ##x##, you need to replace all occurrences of ##x## in the other functions by ##u##, not by ##-u## as you did here.

Also, when you integrate with respect to ##x##, the result cannot possibly depend on ##x##. Keep track of what is your integration variables and what are free variables!

Is this because, ##\delta(x-u)## is a delta function centered on u? Is it sort of like an orthonormal function where if we turn the integral into a sum along ##x## then the only place where ##\delta(x-u)dx## is non-zero is at ##x=u##? So if we're essentially summing over ##\delta(x-u)g(u)## then you have ##0\times g(u)## for all ##u\neq x##? Then you get ##1\times g(x)##? So the integral equals ##g(x)##?

I understand it in this context - graphically, is this the only 'motivation' behind replacing blah with blahblah? I thought I was missing something analytic.

BruceW said:
This is the answer, but with ##u_0## replaced with ##x##.

Uh wait... I'm re-reading your first post. You say given ##u=x+a##, you want to find
[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(x-u)f(u-a)du[/tex]
But ##\delta(x-u)= \delta(-a)## So this will always be zero (assuming ##a## is some nonzero constant). So equation 1) will just be equal to zero if you want to impose the constraint ##u=x+a##. So I'm guessing you don't want to impose this constraint really, or the answer is not very interesting...

No I'm sorry I shouldn't have included ##u=x+a## that was used in the solutions to get to integral 1) and means nothing in the context of this question I suppose. Please see my above query to Orodruin regarding replacing things :)

FatPhysicsBoy said:
Is this because, ##\delta(x-u)## is a delta function centered on u? Is it sort of like an orthonormal function where if we turn the integral into a sum along ##x## then the only place where ##\delta(x-u)dx## is non-zero is at ##x=u##? So if we're essentially summing over ##\delta(x-u)g(u)## then you have ##0\times g(u)## for all ##u\neq x##? Then you get ##1\times g(x)##? So the integral equals ##g(x)##?

I understand it in this context - graphically, is this the only 'motivation' behind replacing blah with blahblah? I thought I was missing something analytic.

Yes, this is essentially the way to understand it. In a more formal setting (distribution theory), the ##\delta## is simply defined such that
$$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x) \varphi(x) dx \equiv \varphi(0),
$$
where ##\varphi## is a "nice" function (infinitely differentiable with compact support).
You can obtain the results for a delta offset from zero by a change of variables.

Edit: Just to mention, you do not get ##1 \times g##, you informally get ##\infty \times g##, but the infinity is only in one point and integrates to one. It therefore plays the same role as the Kronecker delta in countable sums.

Orodruin said:
Yes, this is essentially the way to understand it. In a more formal setting (distribution theory), the ##\delta## is simply defined such that
$$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x) \varphi(x) dx \equiv \varphi(0),
$$
where ##\varphi## is a "nice" function (infinitely differentiable with compact support).
You can obtain the results for a delta offset from zero by a change of variables.

Edit: Just to mention, you do not get ##1 \times g##, you informally get ##\infty \times g##, but the infinity is only in one point and integrates to one. It therefore plays the same role as the Kronecker delta in countable sums.

Apologies that's what I meant, that the 'area' is then just 1 scaled by the 'area' of ##g(u)##. Thanks for all your help guys!

good work! :) It's good to really think this stuff through.

Likes FatPhysicsBoy
BruceW said:
good work! :) It's good to really think this stuff through.

Seriously, thanks for the help! I've got another question I've just posted over in advanced physics on the taylor expansion if you fancy it! :)

What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical concept that represents an infinitely tall and narrow spike at a specific point on a graph. It is often used in mathematics and physics to model situations where a very large, instantaneous change occurs at a specific point.

How is the Dirac delta function defined mathematically?

The Dirac delta function is defined as follows: δ(x) = { 0, x ≠ 0 ∞, x = 0}It is important to note that the Dirac delta function is not a function in the traditional sense, as it does not have a defined value at x = 0. Rather, it is a distribution that can be integrated over a small interval around x = 0 to obtain a finite value.

What are the properties of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function has several important properties, including:

• δ(x) = 0 for all x ≠ 0
  • ∫δ(x)dx = 1
  • ∫δ(x)f(x)dx = f(0) for any continuous function f(x)
  • δ(ax) = 1/|a|δ(x) for any non-zero constant a
These properties make the Dirac delta function a powerful tool in solving mathematical and physical problems.

How is the Dirac delta function used in practical applications?

The Dirac delta function has many practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it is used to model point charges in electromagnetism, as well as impulsive forces in mechanics. It is also used in signal processing and image reconstruction techniques.

What are the limitations of the Dirac delta function?

While the Dirac delta function is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. For one, it is not defined at x = 0, which can cause issues when integrating or manipulating equations. Additionally, it is an idealized mathematical concept and does not accurately represent real physical phenomena, which are often more complex and gradual in nature.