Calculate the force of an explosion from chemical reaction?

In summary, the force of an explosion caused by igniting a mixture of 5 grams of oxygen and 10 grams of hydrogen would depend on various factors such as the distance, shape, strength, and mass of the object being impacted. The molecular weights of hydrogen and oxygen are different, so a mass ratio of approximately eight to one in favor of oxygen would be needed to achieve a number-of-atoms ratio of two to one in favor of hydrogen. The common measures used for explosions are maximum over pressure and energy release, with hydrogen releasing 120 MJ/kg when burned. The pressure and force of the explosion would be highly dependent on how this energy is released and can vary greatly.
yrjosmiel73
Example, I have a mixture of 5 grams of oxygen and 10 grams of hydrogen. I ignite them. How much force will the explosion do?

Yes, I did think about posting this in the chem category but this is about forces, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but that's an extremely complicated, but largely meaningless question. It depends on both the explosion and the distance, shape, strength and mass of the object being impacted, and even then is a pretty weak description.

Now, sometimes maximum over pressure is used, but more common is energy.

yrjosmiel73 said:
Example, I have a mixture of 5 grams of oxygen and 10 grams of hydrogen. I ignite them. How much force will the explosion do?
Note that the molecular weights of hydrogen and oxygen are very different. You would need mass ratio of approximately eight to one in favor of oxygen to achieve a number-of-atoms ratio of two to one in favor of hydrogen.

I assume that you are trying to specify a perfect mix here.

russ_watters said:
maximum over pressure is used, but more common is energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion#Heat_of_combustion_tables

When you burn hydrogen it will release 120 MJ/kg (The lower heating value means that you do not take into account the condensation of the water vapor in combustion). Pressure and force depend on how this energy is released and are very case-dependent.

Likes yrjosmiel73

What is the formula for calculating the force of an explosion?

The formula for calculating the force of an explosion from a chemical reaction is F = M x A, where F is the force, M is the mass of the explosive material, and A is the acceleration caused by the explosion.

How do you determine the mass of the explosive material?

The mass of the explosive material can be determined by weighing the material before the reaction takes place. This mass can then be used in the formula to calculate the force of the explosion.

What factors affect the force of an explosion?

The force of an explosion can be affected by several factors including the type and amount of explosive material, the confinement of the explosion, and the surrounding environment. Temperature, humidity, and altitude can also impact the force of an explosion.

Can the force of an explosion be predicted accurately?

The force of an explosion can be predicted with a certain level of accuracy using mathematical models and simulations. However, there are many variables that can affect the force of an explosion, so there may be some level of uncertainty in the prediction.

Why is it important to calculate the force of an explosion?

Calculating the force of an explosion is important for understanding the potential damage and impact of the explosion. It can also inform safety protocols and help in designing structures and materials that can withstand the force of an explosion.