1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the force of ball on an incline leaning on a wall

1. Jun 23, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I'm working on a problem from the Feynman exercise book, and have been racking my brains for an answer, so would really appreciate some help here. The problem seems simple enough:

A ball with a 3cm radius, weighing 1kg rests on an inclined plane (angle alpha) and also touches a vertical wall. Neglect friction.

(see attached diagram)

What is the force of the ball acting on the wall (Fw)?

The answers in the back gives
    Fw= tan(alpha) kg.wt

I got the force due to gravity acting down the plane, Fr = 9.81.sin(alpha). The horizontal component of this force, which to my mind is the force acting on the wall, is

Frhor=9.81* sin(alpha)cos(alpha)

What am I missing here?!!!

Thanks!

Amit

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Amit86. Welcome to PF !

ball-in-corner-problem-png.85133.png

The only forces acting on the ball are gravity, and the two forces supplied by the two surfaces. Right ?

Can the vertical wall counteract the force gravity exerts on the ball?

4. Jun 23, 2015 #3
    Hi, Sammy. That's correct.

5. Jun 23, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are two questions I asked.

6. Jun 23, 2015 #5
    I imagine the vertical wall can counteract the force

7. Jun 23, 2015 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(By the way, there is a "Reply" feature in the lower right-hand corner of the message screen that's helpful with dialogue.)

Can the vertical surface produce a force on the ball that has a vertical component?

(There's no friction.)

8. Jun 23, 2015 #7
    As far as I can tell, I don't think it can. "both surfaces have negligible friction"

9. Jun 23, 2015 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right.

Therefore, only the incline can provide a force which has the vertical component necessary to counter act the gravitational force. Right?

10. Jun 23, 2015 #9
    I suppose that's true.

11. Jun 23, 2015 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You say things like "I imagine", "as far as I can tell", and "I suppose". Do you know in what direction gravity acts? Do you know in which direction the force from the wall acts?

12. Jun 23, 2015 #11
    Of course I do; check the diagram. I am looking for some insight into where the tan(alpha) comes from. I've provided all the information given in the question, I need to get some sense of how to proceed with a solution, and would appreciate constructive advice.

13. Jun 23, 2015 #12

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This should help you to find the vertical force the incline needs to exert on the ball.

14. Jun 23, 2015 #13
    okay thanks!

15. Jun 23, 2015 #14
    Ok so I think I've got then...

The vertical component of the reaction force of the plane = the total gravitational force (i.e 9.81 x 1kg), so the horizontal component of reaction force of the plane would be 9.81*tan alpha Newtons or

Fw= tan(alpha) kg wt

Thanks for your help!

16. Jun 23, 2015 #15

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct !

Notice that this vertical force is greater than the vertical force that the incline exerts for the case when the ball is allowed to roll.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted