Calculate the frequency of a sound .wav

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter inisca
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Frequency Sound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
inisca
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello all,
First of all I am new here and I don`t know if this thread is posted corectly.
I need to calculate the frequency of a sound .wav
I found a formula freq= (velocity / wavelength).
My question is: What is velocity and wavelength.Can someone please help?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Hi inisca, welcome to PF

If you have a .wav file you can calculate the frequency directly. If the file is a single pure tone simply count n the number of samples between successive 0 crossings and divide 44.1/n to get the frequency in kHz. If the file is a mix of tones then you will need to do a Fourier transform.
 


1. Why 44.1/n , what is 44.1?
2. does it help me if I know the audio sample rate ?
 


44.1 kHz is the audio sample rate on a CD. If the .wav file was ripped directly from a CD, then its sample rate is 44.1 kHz. If it comes from some other source, it may have a different sample rate.