Calculate the length of the thread -

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the total length of 4mm diameter string in the world's largest ball of string, which has a radius of 2 meters. The suggested approach is to calculate the volume of the ball as a sphere and then use the cylinder's volume formula to calculate the length of the string. The problem statement specifies that the answer should be to the nearest order of magnitude or power of ten, allowing for a margin of error of a factor of two or three.
engboysclub

Homework Statement

The world’s largest ball of string is about 2 meter in radius. To the nearest order of magnitude, i.e.,
the power of ten, determine what is the total length of the 4mm diameter string in the ball?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the volume of the ball "(considering it to be a sphere), using 2m as radius - After getting the value, I assumed the thread to be a "cylinder" and used "Cylinder's volume formula" --- V=Pie x R(squared) x H and calculated H ..

Is that correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
engboysclub said:
Is that correct ?

Sounds like a reasonable enough approach that should get you within a factor of ten.

Factor of ten ? What does it exactly means ?

We call it "Tenths, Hundredths, etc " - I have an idea, but please elaborate so I may not have confusion ever.

engboysclub said:
Factor of ten ? What does it exactly means ?

We call it "Tenths, Hundredths, etc " - I have an idea, but please elaborate so I may not have confusion ever.

From the original problem statement: "To the nearest order of magnitude, i.e.,
the power of ten", meaning that they are not asking for an exact answer, but rather one that gives you an idea about the magnitudes we're dealing with. Generally when a problem is stated that way, an answer that is off by a factor of two or three in either direction is acceptable.

Perfect ! Thanks a lot !

1. How do you calculate the length of a thread?

To calculate the length of a thread, you need to know the distance between the two points where the thread is attached, the diameter of the thread, and the number of threads per inch. You can then use the formula: Length = (Distance * Threads per inch) + Diameter.

2. Can you calculate the length of a thread without measuring it?

No, in order to accurately calculate the length of a thread, you need to have all the necessary measurements. Simply estimating or guessing the length will not provide an accurate result.

3. What units should be used when calculating the length of a thread?

The units used to measure the distance and diameter should be consistent. For example, if you measure the distance in inches, the diameter should also be in inches. The resulting length will also be in the same units.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the length of a thread?

Yes, the formula for calculating the length of a thread is Length = (Distance * Threads per inch) + Diameter. However, there may be variations of this formula depending on the type of thread being used.

5. Can the length of a thread change over time?

In general, the length of a thread does not change over time unless it is subjected to external factors such as stretching or shrinking. However, natural fibers like cotton and wool may experience some changes in length due to moisture or temperature fluctuations.