1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the RMSD for the odd solutions

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    Calculate the RMSD for the odd solutions of the infinite symmetric well problem.

The odd solutions have the form:

[tex]u_n(x) = 1/\sqrt{a} \cdot sin(n \pi x/a)[/tex]

So, I should multiply u_n by x, then take the integral over the bottom of the well to get <x>. Then I should multiply u_n by x^2, take the integral over the bottom of the well to get <x^2>. From this I can get delta x.

Is all that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How is the expectation value of an observable defined?

4. Aug 2, 2007 #3
    I should take the integral over x times the modulus squared of u_n to get <x>. That better.

5. Aug 3, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Better, but it doesn't look like your wavefunctions have been normalized.

6. Aug 3, 2007 #5
    They have been. Remember this it represents a probability amplitude not a probability density and your region of integration should be -a to a.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that case, the wavefunction looks wrong to me.

8. Aug 4, 2007 #7
    Its my book that does it oddly. Instead of breaking it up into cases of n = 0,2,4,.. and n =1,3,5,... they used different arguments for sine and cosine so that they can use n = 1,2,3,... for both cases.

9. Aug 4, 2007 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that's particularly unusual.

If your well width is 2a I'd imagine your wavefunctions to be [itex]\sqrt{1/a}~cos(n \pi x/2a) [/itex], and if the well goes from 0 to a then you'd have [itex]\phi_n(x) = \sqrt{2/a}~sin(n \pi x/a) [/itex]. The wavefunction you've written is neither of these.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  10. Aug 4, 2007 #9
    It goes from -a to a. The even solutions are of the form B*cos(k*x) , where k = sqrt(2mE/hbar^2). The boundary conditions give us that cosk(k*a) = 0, so set k_n*a = (n - 1/2)pi to get k_n = (n-1/2)pi/a. Plug that back into cosine and normalize.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?