Calculate the slope of the curve at x=1

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kazane
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Slope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Kazane
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



f(x)=x1/3
use the definition of f'(a) to calculate the slope of the curve at x=1
(Hint: by rationalizing the numerator. useful formula a3 -b3=(a-b)(a2+ab+b2)

The Attempt at a Solution


f'(x)=lim (x->1) f(x)-f(1)/x-1

=lim (x->1) x1/3-11/3/ x-1

How can I do x1/3-11/3 to a3 -b3=(a-b)(a2+ab+b2)?

I'm confused so please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Kazane said:

Homework Statement



f(x)=x1/3
use the definition of f'(a) to calculate the slope of the curve at x=1
(Hint: by rationalizing the numerator. useful formula a3 -b3=(a-b)(a2+ab+b2)



The Attempt at a Solution


f'(x)=lim (x->1) f(x)-f(1)/x-1

=lim (x->1) x1/3-11/3/ x-1

How can I do x1/3-11/3 to a3 -b3=(a-b)(a2+ab+b2)?

I'm confused so please help!

You should never write f(x) - f(1)/x-1, which means f(x) - [f(1)/x] - 1 when evaluated according to standard, universally accepted rules. You should use brackets and write [f(x) - f(1)]/(x-1).

RGV
 


Kazane said:

Homework Statement



f(x)=x1/3
use the definition of f'(a) to calculate the slope of the curve at x=1
(Hint: by rationalizing the numerator. useful formula a3 -b3=(a-b)(a2+ab+b2)



The Attempt at a Solution


f'(x)=lim (x->1) f(x)-f(1)/x-1

=lim (x->1) x1/3-11/3/ x-1

How can I do x1/3-11/3 to a3 -b3=(a-b)(a2+ab+b2)?

I'm confused so please help!
Let [itex]a= x^{1/3}[/itex], [itex]b= y^{1/3}[/itex]