Calculate the speed of the flywheel for my drone motor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Tony Singh
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I have drone motor with propellers attached to the top of ring flywheels rim at the edge and the flywheel is 18 inches in diameter and weigh's 2kg.
The drone motor with propellers rpm 5200 and thrust 900 grams.
What rpm will the flywheel be rotating at.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Tony Singh said:
Summary: I working on if we put drone motor with propellers on rim of flywheel

I have drone motor with propellers attached to the top of ring flywheels rim at the edge and the flywheel is 18 inches in diameter and weigh's 2kg.
The drone motor with propellers rpm 5200 and thrust 900 grams.
What rpm will the flywheel be rotating at.
What work have you done so far? What have you found out?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
phinds said:
What work have you done so far? What have you found out?
I have patented, building prototype.
 
  • Skeptical
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Tony Singh said:
I have patented, building prototype.
Which tells us exactly nothing in terms of answering your question, so I ask again: what work have you done on answering your question?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
If you've built it, why not simply measure the speed?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and russ_watters
Can you provide the patent number/country? I have a hard time believing you can patent an invention you don't understand and can't explain. But at least the application should give us more information about what you are trying to do.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asymptotic and davenn
If you're powering it with a 5200RPM motor, it should eventually hit 5200RPM, given enough time. I will admit that I'm having a rather hard time envisioning exactly what you're trying to do here though.
 
This looks like basic gearing calculations. Motor is attached to flywheel, which spins propellers.

Let's say propellers are spun from flywheel's edge with belts or gears and they need to spin at 5200rpms in order to generate 900g lift. Simple enough to calculate ratios of 18" flywheel diameter to propeller's gear/drum diameter. Divide propeller's 5200rpms by ratio and that's what you need to spin flywheel to.

FlywheelRPM = 5200rpms / (FlywheelDiameter/PropDrumDiameter)
 
Last edited: