Calculate the speed of the flywheel for my drone motor

In summary, if we attach a drone motor with propellers to the edge of an 18 inch flywheel and the motor has an rpm of 5200 and thrust of 900 grams, the flywheel will rotate at a speed determined by the ratio of the flywheel diameter to the diameter of the gear or drum attached to the propellers. This can be calculated by dividing the propeller's rpm by the ratio.
Tony Singh
I have drone motor with propellers attached to the top of ring flywheels rim at the edge and the flywheel is 18 inches in diameter and weigh's 2kg.
The drone motor with propellers rpm 5200 and thrust 900 grams.
What rpm will the flywheel be rotating at.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tony Singh said:
Summary: I working on if we put drone motor with propellers on rim of flywheel

I have drone motor with propellers attached to the top of ring flywheels rim at the edge and the flywheel is 18 inches in diameter and weigh's 2kg.
The drone motor with propellers rpm 5200 and thrust 900 grams.
What rpm will the flywheel be rotating at.
What work have you done so far? What have you found out?

Likes davenn
phinds said:
What work have you done so far? What have you found out?
I have patented, building prototype.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Tony Singh said:
I have patented, building prototype.
Which tells us exactly nothing in terms of answering your question, so I ask again: what work have you done on answering your question?

Likes davenn
If you've built it, why not simply measure the speed?

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
Can you provide the patent number/country? I have a hard time believing you can patent an invention you don't understand and can't explain. But at least the application should give us more information about what you are trying to do.

Likes Asymptotic and davenn
If you're powering it with a 5200RPM motor, it should eventually hit 5200RPM, given enough time. I will admit that I'm having a rather hard time envisioning exactly what you're trying to do here though.

This looks like basic gearing calculations. Motor is attached to flywheel, which spins propellers.

Let's say propellers are spun from flywheel's edge with belts or gears and they need to spin at 5200rpms in order to generate 900g lift. Simple enough to calculate ratios of 18" flywheel diameter to propeller's gear/drum diameter. Divide propeller's 5200rpms by ratio and that's what you need to spin flywheel to.

FlywheelRPM = 5200rpms / (FlywheelDiameter/PropDrumDiameter)

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the speed of the flywheel for my drone motor?

To calculate the speed of the flywheel for your drone motor, you will need to know the diameter of the flywheel and the rotational speed of the motor. You can use the formula: Speed = (3.14 x Diameter x Rotational Speed) / 60. This will give you the speed of the flywheel in revolutions per minute (RPM).

2. What is the purpose of the flywheel in a drone motor?

The flywheel in a drone motor serves as a rotational mass that helps to stabilize the motor's speed and reduce vibrations. It also helps to store kinetic energy, which can be used to power the motor during sudden changes in speed or direction.

3. Can I use a different size flywheel for my drone motor?

Yes, you can use a different size flywheel for your drone motor, but it is important to consider the impact it may have on the motor's performance. A larger flywheel will provide more stability and smoother operation, while a smaller flywheel may result in faster acceleration and deceleration.

4. How does the weight of the flywheel affect the speed of my drone motor?

The weight of the flywheel can affect the speed of your drone motor in two ways. A heavier flywheel will require more energy to rotate, which may result in a slower overall speed. However, a heavier flywheel can also provide more stability and reduce vibrations, resulting in smoother operation.

5. Is it necessary to balance the flywheel for my drone motor?

Yes, it is important to balance the flywheel for your drone motor to ensure optimal performance. An unbalanced flywheel can cause vibrations and reduce the efficiency of the motor. You can use a balancing tool or seek professional help to balance your flywheel.