Calculate the temperature on the other side of the plate.

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ladil
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plate Temperature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
ladil
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I need some help in a matter.
I don´t have any great knowledge in thermodynamics.

If I have a plate of stainless steel (2mm thick).
On one of the sides of the plate the temperature is 400C.

I need to have a "simple" derivated calculation regarding how much the temperature is on the other side after 1 minute. Maybe I can plot the increase in temperature as a function of time.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
IMHO, I would think we have to know at least one of the following to give a solution:

1) the initial temperature of the other "cold" side of the plate
2) if the "cold" side is insulated
3) if it isn't insulated, how hot the room is (giving us an idea of the heat leaving the plate on the "cold" side)
4) the heat rate entering the plate from the "hot" side.
 
OK.

This plate is a cover for a box so the temperature on the inside of the box is higher than 400C. I have a media (liquid) inside the box that I need to calculate the temperature on the inside of the plate that is on the box.

1. unknown. This is what I want an estimation of.
2. The plate is a cover on a box.
3. I havn´t measured anything like that.
4. I don´t know.

Do you need anything else?
 
We need to know another temperature somewhere. If the box is in a room with air at, say, 25 degC, then we can try to calculate a convection heat transfer coefficient for free convection and use that in tandem with Fourier's Law of Conduction to get a rough estimate of the temperature of the plate. That's the method I would use.
 
The box is in a room with air at approx. 25C.
Do you know where I can find some derivations or how to begin?

I havn´t studied thermodynamics, but maybe I can derive something if I just know the start of it and if there any special assumptions to be made.
Thanks.