Calculate the Volume of a Lemonsqueezer

• Thread starter Elpinetos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the problem involves a function and its tangent, which is then rotated around the y-axis to create a squeezer shape with a volume of 4.6L. The calculated volume is found to be correct and the given units are 1 unit = 1cm.
Elpinetos

Homework Statement

[itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{81}*x^4-\frac{5}{9}*x^2+4[/itex]
The tangent in Point P(6|0) when rotated around the y-Axis gives the Shape of the Squeezer. The bottom is at y=-5, the top at y=0

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the tangent and got

[itex]t: y=4x-24[/itex]
Then I converted that to [itex]x^2[/itex] since I need that for the rotation around the y-Axis
[itex]x^2=\frac{y^2}{16}+3y+36[/itex]

Then I rotated it:

[itex]V=\pi\int\frac{y^2}{16}+3y+36dy = \pi(\frac{y^3}{48}+\frac{3y^2}{2}+36y)(0 to -5)[/itex]
[itex] = \pi(0+0-(-\frac{125}{48}+\frac{75}{2}-180) = \pi(\frac{125}{48}-\frac{1800}{48}+\frac{8640}{48})[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{6965\pi}{48} = 455.86[/itex]

Since this is in cL, which would equal around 4.6L I find the result a bit excessive. Have I made a mistake somewhere? Can someone please check for me? Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elpinetos said:

Homework Statement

[itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{81}*x^4-\frac{5}{9}*x^2+4[/itex]
The tangent in Point P(6|0) when rotated around the y-Axis gives the Shape of the Squeezer. The bottom is at y=-5, the top at y=0

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the tangent and got

[itex]t: y=4x-24[/itex]
Then I converted that to [itex]x^2[/itex] since I need that for the rotation around the y-Axis
[itex]x^2=\frac{y^2}{16}+3y+36[/itex]

Then I rotated it:

[itex]V=\pi\int\frac{y^2}{16}+3y+36dy = \pi(\frac{y^3}{48}+\frac{3y^2}{2}+36y)(0 to -5)[/itex]
[itex] = \pi(0+0-(-\frac{125}{48}+\frac{75}{2}-180) = \pi(\frac{125}{48}-\frac{1800}{48}+\frac{8640}{48})[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{6965\pi}{48} = 455.86[/itex]

Since this is in cL, which would equal around 4.6L I find the result a bit excessive. Have I made a mistake somewhere? Can someone please check for me? Thank you in advance :)

No mistake. That is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
4.6L Lemonsqueezer? Okay thank you^^

Elpinetos said:
4.6L Lemonsqueezer? Okay thank you^^

The problem states nothing about units. You can tell the 455.8 is reasonably close since the volume would be a bit less than a disk of radius ##6## and thickness ##5##$$
5\pi 6^2 = 565.48$$

Likes 1 person
Yeah it does. It states 1 unit = 1cm and the Volume in cl
Thank you though :)

1. How do you calculate the volume of a lemonsqueezer?

To calculate the volume of a lemonsqueezer, you will need to measure the dimensions of the squeezer. Measure the diameter of the base, the height of the cylinder, and the depth of the bowl. Then, use the formula V = πr²h to calculate the volume.

2. Can you use the same formula for different sizes of lemonsqueezers?

Yes, the formula V = πr²h can be used for any size of lemonsqueezer as long as you have the correct measurements for the dimensions. Make sure to use the same unit of measurement for all dimensions to get an accurate result.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the volume of a lemonsqueezer?

The volume of a lemonsqueezer is typically measured in cubic inches (in³) or cubic centimeters (cm³). However, any unit of volume can be used as long as it is consistent for all dimensions in the formula.

4. How accurate is the calculated volume of a lemonsqueezer?

The accuracy of the calculated volume will depend on the accuracy of the measurements taken. It is important to use precise measuring tools and ensure that the measurements are taken at the exact location specified in the formula. Minor errors in measurements can result in slightly different calculated volumes.

5. Why is it important to calculate the volume of a lemonsqueezer?

Calculating the volume of a lemonsqueezer is important for various reasons. It can help with determining the capacity of the squeezer, which can be useful for production and packaging purposes. It can also assist with recipe measurements, as some recipes may specify the volume of lemon juice needed. Additionally, knowing the volume can aid in comparing different lemonsqueezers and their efficiency at extracting juice.