Calculate velocity of a 1MeV Neutron

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter rem45
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Neutron Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
rem45
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
How would one calculate the velocity of a 1MeV neutron??

I tried the following the attached formula for V/C but E is less than the rest mass which yields the square root of a negative number. Not sure what to do for this
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 6.33.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 6.33.32 PM.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 951
Physics news on Phys.org
1 MeV here is surely the kinetic energy, not the total (rest plus kinetic) energy.
 
It doesn't say. I guess that I will assume such. Is the 'E' in the equation I am using for the rest mass energy plus the kinetic energy?
 
Since a neutron has a higher rest mass than 1MeV, then one should safely assume that kinetic energy is what is meant here.

The E in that equation is indeed the rest+kinetic energy.
 
Since the neutron rest mass is approximately 940 Mev, you probably could use E=(mv^2)/2 to get v. (v=c/22?).
 
Last edited:
mathman said:
Since the neutron rest mass is approximately 940 Mev, you probably could use E=(mv^2)/2 to get v. (v=c/22?).
I agree that a nonrelativistic approach should be fine - it is a very good approximation.