Calculate Water Pipe Flow for Output Temperature of 60 Celsius

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
MingoN26
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey Guys!

This is my first post so I apologize beforehand if there are any mistakes with my post :D

But my question is...

I have 2 water pipes that are connected to one pipe in the middle, but the distance from the 2 water pipes to the connection point are not necessarily the same. The distance from water pipe with 80 celsius hot water to connection point is 1 m, and the distance from the water pipe with 20 celsius cold water is 1,5 m(Like you can read I like to use SI-units). The water flows from to tanks placed above so the gravity force affect the water to flow through the pipes(A little sketch should be attached).

I know the value of all most everything in this systems except the pressure, so feel free to ask.

But How do I find the flow rate of the water from both the cold and warm water pipes when I want the output temperature to be 60 celsius?

I found this calculator online:

http://wea-inc.com/calc-frm.htm


but I don't understand where this equation is from? I mean why do you need to use the specific water gravity?

If there are anyone who can explain this equation or know how to solve this problem, I would be very grateful.
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1,019 bytes · Views: 576
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming perfect mixing they will sum linearly so you want a 2:1 mixing ratio of hot to cold. Lengths will not matter in this approximation
 
Try looking into the mixing perfect gas laws, PV=mRT may help with this
 
DanPreLoaded said:
Try looking into the mixing perfect gas laws, PV=mRT may help with this

It's not clear how this helps the OP. AFAIK, he is dealing only with mixing liquids at different temperatures.