Arc length of f(x) = 4/5·x^(5/4) from [0,4]

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Chandasouk
Messages
163
Reaction score
0
I need to find the arc length of the function f(x) = 4/5*X5/4 from [0,4].

You have to find f '(x) first and that would be X1/4

I square f '(x) and obtain X1/2 or [tex]\sqrt{X}[/tex]

I plug it into the formula and get

S = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{1+\sqrt{X}}[/tex] from [0,4]

I don't know how to evaluate the integral from here though
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget the dx. Try a u-substitution or two.
 
Imagine a right triangle with the two legs as 1 and [tex]x^{1/4}.[/tex] Let [tex]\theta [/tex] be the angle opposite [tex]x^{1/4}.[/tex]

Use this to put [tex]\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{x} }[/tex] and [tex]dx[/tex] in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex] by using some trig operations. Can you get the rest from here?
 
There's really no reason to resort to a trig substitution. There are a couple of obvious substitutions to try, and they will result in a integrand that's straightforward to integrate.