Calculating area of an annulus

• Thread starter ShizukaSm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the electric potential of a disk and the calculation of the area of a ring with radius and width dR. It is shown that for small values of dR, the square term can be neglected, resulting in an approximate area of 2πRdR.
ShizukaSm
My physics book when providing proof of the electric potential of a disk tells me that the area of a ring with radius [itex]R'[/itex] and width [itex]dR'[/itex] is [itex]2 \pi R'dR'[/itex]
ringofcharge.JPG

The problem is, I have no idea how he arrives at this conclusion. Here is my attempt:
[itex]A = \pi (R'+dR')^2 - PiR'^2\\ A = \pi(R'^2 + dR'^2 + 2R'dR') - \pi R'^2 \\ A = \pi dR'^2 + 2 \pi R' dR'[/itex]
Which is, of course, different from what my book says:
[itex]A = \pi dR'^2 + 2 \pi R' dR' \neq 2 \pi R'dR' [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that [itex]dR'^2[/itex] is the square of an infinitesimal quantity, which we take to be zero. So your derivation works out.

When doing infinitesimal proofs like this any squared terms are negligible - for example your [itex] dR'^2[/itex] should be thrown out.

An alternate way to see the result is if you cut the ring and lay it out flat it's a rectangle (almost) with side lengths easily calculated.

I will drop the primes so as not to confuse with the derivative. What your text is using is the differential approximation to the annulus area. You have a circle of area ##A=\pi R^2##. The approximate change in area when ##R## is changed by an amount ##dR## is the differential ##A'dR = 2\pi R dR## which approximates the exact change, which you have calculated. For small ##dR## you can ignore the ##dR^2## term.

[Edit] Wow! Two other answers just while I was typing. That's life in PF.

Ohh, I see ! Thanks to you three, that perfectly cleared my doubt.

A disk of radius R has area [itex]\pi R^2[/itex]. A disk of radius R+ dR has area [itex]\pi(R+ dR)^2= \pi R^2+ 2\pi RdR+ \pi(dR)^2[/itex]. The area of the annulus between them is [itex]2\pi RdR+\pi (dR)^2[/itex]. If dR is much smaller than R, that is approximatelyu [itex]2\pi RdR[/itex].

1. How do you calculate the area of an annulus?

The area of an annulus can be calculated by subtracting the area of the inner circle from the area of the outer circle. The formula for the area of an annulus is A = π(R^2 - r^2), where R is the radius of the outer circle and r is the radius of the inner circle.

2. What is an annulus?

An annulus is a two-dimensional shape that is created by two concentric circles. It is also known as a ring or a circular ring.

3. What is the difference between an annulus and a circle?

A circle is a two-dimensional shape with a single radius, while an annulus is a two-dimensional shape with two different radii, representing the inner and outer circles.

4. Can the area of an annulus be negative?

No, the area of an annulus cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the space within the outer circle that is not occupied by the inner circle.

5. How is the area of an annulus used in real life?

The concept of an annulus and its area is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of cylindrical objects like pipes, calculating the amount of material needed for constructing circular structures, and in the design of gears and wheels.