Calculating change in length for a projection

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a tilted rectangular prism and a known angle theta. The person is looking for a mathematical solution to determine the increase in length when theta becomes zero. They are advised to draw an end view of the prism and use high school math concepts, such as right angles, to solve the problem. The person is also encouraged to upload a photo of their diagram for further assistance.
Furious_George
I haven't touched a physics textbook in a while and need help with something fairly simple. I am staring straight down on a rectangular prism that is tilted on one axis to a known angle, theta. I have a measurement of a vector length in this orientation. I would like to know how much that length changes with respect to theta. What is the increase in length when theta becomes zero?

upload_2017-10-11_9-47-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-11_9-43-46.png
    upload_2017-10-11_9-43-46.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 327
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the end view and you should see the solution immediately .

Nidum said:
Draw the end view and you should see the solution immediately .
The image on the right is the end view. My issue is that I need to back this up mathematically - I need more justification beyond just a picture and I need to calculate an uncertainty later on based off of my numbers.

I think @Nidum means a view of one of the left or right hand ends (as we're looking at it).

Likes Nidum
I'm also not sure what terminology I would google to find a solution. Am I projecting an vector onto a plane here? Or does that imply that I am not changing my length (which I am in this situation). What equations can I use to solve this?

Draw the diagram Nidum suggested. Mark on it the length you know and the distance you want to know. Hopefully the answer will be immediately obvious from high school maths (hint - there ought to be a right angle somewhere). If not, take a photo if your diagram (in good light!) and upload it and we can see where you've got to.

Tilted block with a hole.jpg

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating change in length for a projection?

The formula for calculating change in length for a projection is (final length - initial length) / initial length.

2. What is the unit of measurement for change in length for a projection?

The unit of measurement for change in length for a projection is typically in inches or centimeters.

3. How is change in length for a projection different from change in length for a solid object?

Change in length for a projection is the difference between the final and initial lengths of a projected shape, while change in length for a solid object is the difference between the final and initial lengths of a three-dimensional object.

4. Can change in length for a projection be negative?

Yes, change in length for a projection can be negative if the final length is smaller than the initial length.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating change in length for a projection?

The accuracy of calculating change in length for a projection can be affected by the precision of measurements, the quality of the projection equipment, and any external factors that may cause distortion in the projected image.